Laptop dead battery leave in or remove?

tonyq 10:35 05 Nov 14

Hi, is it better to remove or leave in a dead battery, when the laptop is going to be used full time from the mains.

spuds 11:38 05 Nov 14

You might find the answer in the following link click here

Jollyjohn 13:11 05 Nov 14

On my old Acer laptop I had to leave the battery in as it had one of the feet attached so when removed the laptop wobbled all over the place.

rdave13 13:57 05 Nov 14

I run an old Compaq laptop without battery. I've seen a dead battery 'swell' and can cause damage. Happened on a Mac. To be honest my laptop is so old the cmos battery is dead and graphics on the way out. First boot goes to a double bleep and to bios. F1 to continue. Goes to a corrupted graphics screen. Force shutdown and it reboots to Win 10 with no more problems lol.

tonyq 15:53 05 Nov 14

Jock1e,

am I supposed to start the laptop before removing battery and the charger?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:20 05 Nov 14
  1. remove battery

2. unplug from mains

3. press and hold power button for at least 30secs

4. refit battery reconnect to mains

5. power up laptop and see if it starts to charge
  tonyq 08:45 06 Nov 14

Did as requested by,Jock1e and Fruit Bat.

1. remove battery
  2. unplug from mains
  3. press and hold power button for 50secs
  4. refit battery reconnect to mains
  5. power up laptop

Still not charging,so from this can I presume that the battery is definitely dead?

spuds 10:17 06 Nov 14

Perhaps the test of time required?.

Take the 'dead' battery out (but keep handy) for safety reasons, then use on mains, and see what happens!.

rdave13 10:37 06 Nov 14

It will be fine running on mains only. Just watch out for thunderstorms.

sunnystaines 20:03 06 Nov 14

mixed advice when we had a sony laptop left battery in all the time and it lasted just over a year, when we replaced the battery sony said leave out when on mains thats why the first one did not last.

new laptop a samsung the battery is not removable so i rang samsung for advice they said if the battery is never fully charged it will last ok. [they have an option to cut out charging at 80% to prevent battery life].

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…