Laptop Dead After Fault on Graphics Card

Kilty 10:10 26 May 09

I was having problems with my HP Pavillion dv9000, thought it was a graphics card issue due to screen not working but able to access safe mode through a second monitor.

I reinstalled graphic drivers, all worked fine until I reinstalled Avast and did a boot time scan. The same problem with the screen started, reinstalled drivers, with no luck.

Found on the internet that the BIOS needed to be updated, tried this and half way through install, laptop went dead and now wont start up (lights on but no HD actitvity).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Belatucadrus 10:30 26 May 09

Not a lot we can say I'm afraid, as a failed BIOS update is fairly terminal. BIOS stands for Basic Input Output System and without it there is no meaningful communication between any components and the user.

Kilty 10:51 26 May 09

Thanks for the reply Belatucadrus

I left the laptop for a while and took the battery out and put it back in. It started in safe mode. Removed drivers for graphics card and restarted normally (with bad colours and resolutions).

Now I am at a standstill, I have downloaded the graphics drivers from HP and am going to reinstall.

Will keep you posted.

Belatucadrus 11:17 26 May 09

You're lucky, it looks as if the BIOS update was successful, but the graphics problem prevented you seeing this.

jack 11:37 26 May 09
  woodchip 12:32 26 May 09

I would say You need a New Motherboard, Depending on the age of the Laptop it may not be worth it, could use Drive and Memory as spares

woodchip 12:32 26 May 09

PS have you tried booting just on mains nor Batter connected?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017