Laptop dead

  zarjazz 22:24 20 May 08

I have an Acer Aspire 5670 laptop that's about 18 months old. It has been inactive for the last 2 months as I had a faulty ac adapter and eventually the battery went dead.

I've just got round to buying a new ac adapter, but when I plugged it into the laptop and started to power it up, the laptop very briefly started to boot up and then all of a sudden, everything went dead. No lights on the laptop, no boot-up - nothing.

Strangly enough, the green light on the ac adapter blinks when it is inserted into the laptop. Yet when I pull the jack out of the laptop, the green light on the ac adapter stays solid.

I've taken the battery out and tried to boot it up from the ac adapter - still nothing. I've tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds with battery and ac adapter removed - still nothing.

Any suggestions?

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:34 20 May 08

Try on mains only no battery inserted.

  zarjazz 09:47 21 May 08

Yes, I've done this and I get exactly the same response. No lights on the laptop, no sounds, no boot-up - absolutely nothing.

  crosstrainer 09:55 21 May 08

Could be that you've been unlucky, and the power supply you purchased is duff. Take it back to the shop and ask them to test it (take your lappy with you too)

  zarjazz 20:53 21 May 08

Ive taken it to the shop and tested it and its fine

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:58 21 May 08

1. Turn off the computer,
2. Take the battery out
3. Take out the power supply
4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
5. Reconnect power supply
6. Then the battery.
This is because sometimes the mother board gets static and this clears i

  zarjazz 22:23 21 May 08

I've tried this as well. (I mentioned this in my first post; sorry, I should have made that clearer.)

  woodchip 12:00 22 May 08

is this a new acer adapter? if not you may have blown the shabang

  zarjazz 13:52 22 May 08

I made a note of the part number on the old ac adapter and simply replaced it with a brand new adapter that has the exact same part number.

  woodchip 14:43 22 May 08

It may be as the Laptop as been tood that damp had got inside the laptop, and when power applied the Mobo fried. It is always best to put them in a dry warm room to dry them out before powering up. This applies to all Electronic gear. or the new adapter may have blown. If you have a meter try this on the adapter as it may not be a\ switching adapter.

I would tend to try the adpter first, Question is! Why did the old one blow?

  woodchip 14:44 22 May 08

PS the new one may have blown as the battery may have a short

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…