laptop dead

GOBEEN 02:18 01 Feb 08

Here's one to tickle your palate,I have an old Compaq Presario 1255.well I'm trying to fix it,when I turn it on I can feel it running but just get the Black screen of death.looked inside and the wee fan isn't working,don't get anything from A USB.connection either,when I strip all the goodies out and try again still feel it running but still black,the CPU.doesn't even get warm even without the heat sink,if the CPU.Is dead would that be the actions to expect,any suggestions all you geeks out there,thanks for looking, GOB. (:-)

paul€ 07:11 01 Feb 08

If it has an external VGA slot, connect it to a external monitor.

It sounds as if it ready for the skip.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:31 01 Feb 08

If fan no running and CPU cold USB ports have no 5v feed then good chance power supply or motherboard dead.

Try on mains with battery disconnected BUT WITH HEATSINK ON CPU, otherwise you will fry the cpu in seconds.

woodchip 11:55 01 Feb 08

The battery may be duff and mains charger may not work. so limited power. You could also try it without the battery, just on mains. also try removing the drive the refit as connections may be dirty

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…