Is this laptop dead?

palinka 19:05 20 Aug 05

An elderly friend told me he had a problem with his laptop - "it has lines across the screen" he said. But now I've looked at it it appears that the screen is knackered - unless someone in this forum can advise otherwise. It's a Copmpaq Evo N1015v, about 3 years old. During boot up the screen stays a sort of muddy white - whiter on one side than the other; gradually (after perhaps a minute) goes completely white and nothing is visible - can't see the desktop at all, because it's just white. From some angles it's posible to make out the desktop icons, but they fade after a few seconds. Can't move te cursor with the touchpad either.

justme 19:27 20 Aug 05

To ask the obvious, have you tried adjusting the brightness/contrast of the screen?

I once thought my monitor was knackered until I found out that the keyboard had been pressing against the brightness/contrast buttons of the monitor.

howard60 19:27 20 Aug 05

most laptops have a monitor socket on them try connecting a monitor and if that works ok the screen has died.

palinka 19:28 20 Aug 05

for Copmpaq Evo please read Compaq.

palinka 19:34 20 Aug 05

thanks, justme; that was my first thought, but it's not that.
howard60, I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Taff36 19:42 20 Aug 05

I have one of those! Plug in the monitor and it`s the Fn key (Bottom Left) plus the F4 key to toggle the monitors. I always had a bit of a problem with the toggling because it doesn`t seem to be instant. Try pressing the keys once and wait about 10 seconds before making a second attempt.

palinka 20:42 20 Aug 05

Taff36, thanks for that extra info. I'll tick resolved for now and try it out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…