laptop DC plug too hot!!!

lonemascot 17:33 02 Jan 08

i recently had the problem of my laptop switching between mains and battery power.

I took the laptop apart and re-soldered the joins on the dc-in module and re-soldered a new tip onto the power plug as the last one had melted!

this seemed to fix the problem of annoying bleeps and power switching, until i realised that the power lead tip is still stupidly hot, i mean its too hot to touch. it only gets hot when plugged in to the laptop and not when its idle (obviously plugged in at the wall though).

furthermore, the laptop still switches between power sources intermittently albeit rarely and only after the laptops been on for a while.

Any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:43 02 Jan 08

Heat usually means drawing alot of current.

What is it like if you run on mains only with the battery removed from the laptop?

lonemascot 18:42 02 Jan 08

im a bit apprehensive to try that just in case the lappy switches power and the battery isn't there to back it up. i'd have a power cut and i dont want to damage the HD!

lonemascot 18:43 02 Jan 08

i have had it on standby for 30 mins but the plug is basically cold.

Pamy 18:45 02 Jan 08

If no power is being use it will not get hot, sounds like a poor connection

woodchip 19:48 02 Jan 08

The socket that it is plugged into needs replacing, it is arcing poor contacts to plug pins. It May catch fire. Suggest you try the Computer in another Socket to confirm

amonra 19:52 02 Jan 08

Have a look in Maplins or similar for a replacement plug and refit. If you leave it too long then you'll unsolder the socket on the motherboard (quite a common problem) and then it becomes EXPENSIVE !

lonemascot 21:54 02 Jan 08

thats already happened. i had to take the whole thing apart just to get to the joints. couldn't believe how much a pain in the bum job it could be. anyway, fixed the laptop side of things so i'll take a look inside the transformer.

wee eddie 09:47 03 Jan 08

You have a dry joint.

Before you started soldering ~ Did you remove the old or heat it sufficiently to meld the old with the new. Equally ~ you may have over heated the joint and melted, but not broken, the next joint up the line.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…