Laptop crashing when battery is low

scarylee 21:30 18 Apr 10

Hi,

Over the last three weeks my laptop started to turn itself off every few days even though I still had at least 10% battery. Its now happening everyday and has crashed both this morning and this evening. When I plug the power cable in it seems to be okay. One time I had 28% battery left! Any ideas? thanks

northumbria61 21:36 18 Apr 10

Could be a "Power Option" setting - go into Control Panel - Power Options - look at left hand pane - "Choose when the computer sleeps" OR "Choose when to turn off the Display" - you need to lengthen the time.

scarylee 21:46 18 Apr 10

Thanks northumbria61, I have changed the "when computer sleeps to 1 hr" to see if that solves the problem, it was on 15 minutes. However, I don't think its only slepping as it starts up with black screen asking if I should start up in safe mode, obviously I do start up in safe mode.

Graham. 23:03 18 Apr 10

In Power Options, you should see options for low battery - audio or visual alarm or shutdown when at X% power. Change as required.

You may need to re-calibrate the battery:

click here will give you some idea of how to do it.

scarylee 23:30 18 Apr 10

thanks Graham,
I have gone into power options, seen the following options for battery;
Critical battery action
Low battery level
Critical battery level
Low battery notification

Didnt see anything relating to shutdown at x% power. What is this option under?

Also from your advise I have looked at the battery and it is a Li-Lon battery so I assume as my laptop is now 2 years old I should keep the charge at 40% or above if I understand the instructions correctly?

Graham. 23:43 18 Apr 10

The battery meter reading may not be accurate, that's why you need to re-calibrate. It may say 28% left, but that may not be the case.

scarylee 23:53 18 Apr 10

According to the link, this is for MI-NH cells not the Li-ion Battery.
It states;
As the Li-Ion batteries are chemical in nature, charging and recharging is not going to fix the problem once the chemical reactions stop happening. Therefore the best advice for re-calibrating the Li-Ion batteries is to store the battery at 40% charge if it kept unused for any unlimited period of time. Also don’t leave the battery in the laptop if you don’t use the battery or if you plug the laptop into outlet power.

So should I continue to keep the battery charged over 40% then?
Get your point about the meter reading.
Thanks for your time Graham

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…