Laptop connects to wifi but no browser access

mike56224 22:13 31 Mar 14

Hi, My laptop has worked fine for ages but all of a sudden won't connect to the internet. It's connected to the wifi ok and has a strong signal, I m also able t ouse other programs such as skype and can access the app store in iTunes but when I open a web browser (IE, Firefox or Chrome) I get an error message saying 'server not found'.

My girlfirend has a tablet which connects through the router and she has no problems, and both our mobiles connect through it too, so I'm sure it's not a problem with the router.

Any ideas what the problem maybe and how to resolve it?

northumbria61 15:50 01 Apr 14

Can I assume you are using Windows 7 ? Take a look here Can't connect to Network

Jollyjohn 16:05 01 Apr 14

Open a browser, select Tools, and check there is not a tick next to "Work Offline"

Check Proxy Settings - there is an issue with Firefox trying to use wrong proxy settings, select No Proxy in Firefox options

Preferences - Advanced - Network - Connection Settings - No proxy.

mike56224 08:54 02 Apr 14

Thanks for both of your responses! My laptop has windows Vista and there is not a tick not to 'work offline'.

Will try your ideas tonight and let you know what happens.

Jollyjohn 11:30 02 Apr 14

OK in Vista click on File in the menu bar and Work offline is towards the bottom of the list. If you have no menu bar right click near the top of the window and put a tick next to menu bar.

You could also click on the little cog, top right, Internet options, advanced, reset and then restart IE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…