Laptop connection lost after 08451469372 call

Ex plorer 13:51 28 Nov 10

Hi like most people I get the nuisance calls but there is one in particular that upsets my connection.
I have an answer phone and after the voice says leave a message, it just hangs up and I put most down to nuisance calls.

About once a day my connection would be broken after a call which I left to the answering machine.

I started to answer all calls to find out what call was causing this to happen.

Its the type of call no one ever answers after about 10 seconds it hangs up and my Laptop looses connection.

Phone number is 08451469372 and I have Googled it to see what’s said.

All phones have ADSL filters fitted. (I have disconnected other phones down to only one etc.)

The only way to regain connection is to restart the Laptop.

This problem only started 2 months ago.
OS Vista
Wireless connection.

Graphicool1 16:32 28 Nov 10

Have you tried phoning BT, telling them the problem and asking them to block the caller?

VCR97 18:59 28 Nov 10

I think that it's Homeserve. click here

mooly 07:26 29 Nov 10

What does your laptop icon show when this happens ? Does it still show as normal, or without the "globe" which means local access only (to your router) or does it have a red cross through it (all connection lost).

Can't really see how a call can cause the broadband connection to the router to fail. You say "this call in particular" upsets things... if it happens even once with any call then that is a coincidence and something more fundamental is happening. Have you tried just the router and one phone in a NEW filter with ALL other filters unplugged. This is typical of a filter type fault.

sharpamat 08:33 29 Nov 10

I also agree that this call should not effect your connection.

The number you have listed is in fact homeserve. have you covered a complaint to them about these calls , which you clearly feel are an annoyance call espically if no one answers and you are then paying to find out what it is.

homeserve have a number 0800 0732172 which as you can see is freephone. put in a complaint and if it does not stop contact the regulator

Ex plorer 08:50 30 Nov 10

Hi changed the filter and that has made the difference as I had two calls again and no interruption on the connection to the laptop.
Mooly the Icon disapeard some time ago and I have never been able to find it.
Thanks all for help

mooly 12:02 30 Nov 10

That's good to hear. For the icon, easy one first,

click here

if the network icon is greyed out and can not be enabled try this,which works well to reset and repopulate the cache if needed,
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…