laptop cmos battery????

gizzyx 17:54 24 Jul 08

do laptops have the button type battery on the mobo as desktops do? or does the mobo keep cmos intact from the power pack? i'm looking at a laptop that will only boot sporadically, but i have got into the cmos setup before it locks up and the date/time etc have all been lost (reverted back to 01/01/1997 or something). dont want to open it up to look for a battery that may not be there.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:00 24 Jul 08

Yes they do have a CMOS battery often located under flap at bottom battery encased in plastic attached to two wires.

make and model of laptop?

gizzyx 21:32 25 Jul 08

sorry for the delay, Fruit Bat /\0/\. been on night shift. found and changed the battery. laptop is "Hi-Grade VA250D" this is the problem i have:- on switching on, the status lights come on and i can hear the fan spinning and hdd being accessed, but the screen stays black, most of the time. very occasionally, the screen comes on and windows starts loading although the message "windows failed to load....." or something appears. select start windows normally gets it going but it very soon locks up. if the screen comes on and i press F2 to get into bios setup all the data seems to be awry.date and time lost etc, but as soon as i start to put things right it locks up again. put in a new cmos battery, swapped out the memory modules for known good ones and removed / reseated the HDD but don't know what else to try.

bjh 11:47 26 Jul 08

I don't know if it'll help, but if the CMOS is corrupt anyway, remove cell and main battery and allow CMOS to blank over a couple of minutes (leave 30 for sure). Then replace just the CMOS battery, and boot from mains.

Try using a boot CD to check for hardware faults. A search for Ultimate Boot CD should get you there. UBCD for Windows I'd recommend... let Google do my work for me...

click here

The reset BIOS should boot from CD first... with luck!!!

gizzyx 12:26 26 Jul 08

ubcd for windows... does it work with Vista? the instructions are for building a boot cd with a copy of win xp sp1. any other boot cd (vista compat) you can recommend?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:32 26 Jul 08

message "windows failed to load....." or something appears.

select last known good configuration..

bjh 12:34 26 Jul 08

I THINK (think) it works just fine with a Vista build... I'm still using XP. You could have a go.... but it might waste a while on a sunny day, so...

Otherwise just stick with the non - windows version. It'll happily prove where your problem lies

click here

gizzyx 12:42 26 Jul 08

"message "windows failed to load....." or something appears.

select last known good configuration.."
i understand this bit mate, tried it, but system still locks up just the same.
bjh.... looking into the non windows version, thanks.

gizzyx 13:15 26 Jul 08

no joy. got the ultimate boot cd and tried it. still nothing. nothing comes on the screen at all could it be the cmos is totally screwed? cant get the system to boot at all now,activity lights just for ac power and wifi, no hdd light or anything.just whirring fan no post beep or anything

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:03 26 Jul 08

remove laptop battery
remove HDD
connect mains only
try and boot
should get screen and message regarding hdd missing.

woodchip 16:12 26 Jul 08

On Laptops some are soldered in, they last longer than desktops as they are more often a lot bigger battery and not button batteries. Look for a oblong one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…