Laptop cleaning and stowage

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:49 31 Jan 05

Advice please from all you laptop users out there.

The case on my works HP laptop is becoming badly marked with sticky fingers (oil grease etc.)I'm not sure what to clean it with so as to not damage the plastic case and touch pad.

Also the cable from the adapter is becoming very kinked as it is wrapped around the adapter when stowed in the bag. Any recomendations to prevent this getting worse before the cable breaks?

Help Appreciated. /\0/\

mattyc_92 20:07 31 Jan 05

Well the best way I found to clean a touch-pad and keyboard on the laptop is to use a "feather duster".... It is nice and soft and, with regular use, will keep the laptop from becoming dirty and sticky...

Just a thought though... I bet alot of other users have better ideas...

mattyc_92 20:08 31 Jan 05

Oh yea, you can also buy this specail little vacume like thing, thank sucks up all the dirt inbetween the keys....

But I don't know where you can buy one (my school used to use one a few years ago..)

butter fingers 20:11 31 Jan 05

what about using some standard furniture polish to Mr Sheen it. Why do you need to wrap the cable? Could you coil it more loosely in the bag?

Taff36 20:13 31 Jan 05

Keyboard - Use a "Virgin" paintbrush. Dust it daily.

Screen - Spray some screen cleaner onto a lint free cloth, let it dry for about 30 seconds and then clean it gently.

Occasionally, upturn the entire computer and shake - but very gently. Hold the base firmly and make sure the screen isn`t subject to any strain.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:13 31 Jan 05

Thanks mattyc_92 but its more sticky marks than dust.

Gets used on Diesel locomotives so dirty enviroment.

I was thinking of some kind of solvent cleaner but not sure of what might damage the plastic threfore asking advice from anyone who has cleaned on fron spilss etc.

Taff36 21:07 31 Jan 05

As Butter Fingers suggests - take some proprietary polish or even kitchen worktop cleaner, spray it lightly onto a lint free cloth, wait 30 seconds, wipe it on the keyboard and then quickly wipe it dry with a kitchen towel. (Before it seeps into the keyboard)CAUTION is the key (Excuse the pun!) It is better to repeat it often rather than risk it getting into the keyboard workings of a laptop. I also find the cautious use of an old toothebrush helpful. Whatever you do don`t let anything liquid get into the keyboard.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:52 01 Feb 05

Thanks for the suggestions so far Mr Sheen seems to work pretty well.

Although some stubbon stains remain, any other suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…