Laptop Clean-up

SURVEY 09:10 24 May 07

A friend has asked me to ‘clean-up’ his old Dell Inspiron laptop prior to passing it on to somebody else. The laptop has only 128M RAM, 11GB hard drive and Windows 98SE.

He has given me a Microsoft Windows 98SE disc (for distribution with a new PC) and I trust that this is the original that came with the laptop, and a Dell Inspiron 3800 system software disc containing device drivers, diagnostic and utilities and online documentation.

Can anyone advise what is my best course of action to ‘clean-up’ the laptop with the discs that I have been given? If the suggestion is that I reformat and reinstall Windows98SE, what about all the update to the operating system and the fact that MS no longer supports this OS?

You valued help and guidance on how to best proceed and to take me through it would be much appreciated.

sean-278262 09:27 24 May 07

click here

Just reformat the hard drive and put windows back on. The above site has all the updates you will need to put on it.

baldtaco 10:04 24 May 07

A simple format isn't secure enough. Nuke the lot with DBAN, then as above. click here

baldtaco 10:08 24 May 07

"He has given me a Microsoft Windows 98SE disc (for distribution with a new PC) and I trust that this is the original that came with the laptop, and a Dell Inspiron 3800 system software disc containing device drivers, diagnostic and utilities and online documentation."

mmmm, there's a bunch of trust wound up in that though. You'll want to be sure that a working version of 98SE is amidst that.

sean-278262 11:00 24 May 07

"A simple format isn't secure enough."

No mention of state secrets that I can see. A simple format is enough for most people when reselling equipment. The word is obsessed with security. If SURVEY has received this laptop from a friend to sort out then surely the information contained on it is not that sensitive. Otherwise what if SURVEY wanted to do something a little less polite (not intending to offend there).

baldtaco 11:11 24 May 07

A couple of non technical gists for beginners:

click here

click here

SURVEY 11:21 24 May 07

Astec123 - there is no sensitive info on the computer. There are some photos and contacts details that I shall copy over to my friend's main computer.

baldtaco - I would have thought with a genuine copy of 98SE that has been provided with the laptop that I need only use the Dell disc for drivers?

baldtaco 14:41 24 May 07

SURVEY, hola

Sounds good to me. I was only concerned that it was a pukka 98SE disk to the extent I've seen people turn up here nobbled by one of those ghastly recovery disks rather than the real deal.

:-)

SURVEY 16:21 24 May 07

baldtaco - the 98SE disc is a genuine MS one. Not sure if it is the actual disc that came with the laptop but I do not think that should matter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017