Laptop for child

stressedmum 20:59 19 Nov 08

My son (aged 13) is desperate for a new laptop for Xmas, he is currently using my old one. He wants it to play games on, the old one is really slow and some games don't work as it says there is something wrong with the graphics card. He is also dyslexic so I need him to use it for school and have software to teach him to touchtype etc. I've had a look at some but don't know what to look for with regards to gaming on it any ideas?

Jollyjohn 16:16 20 Nov 08

Have a look on the Tescos website. On the left hand side are lots of options including "Graphics dedicated" which filters out many of the smaller screens.
You can also select screen size etc.
For games you need a good graphics setup with its own memory. Do not go for a laptop that shares the RAM between the system and graphics.
There are about 50 laptops listed, come back if you need more specific advice on a short list!

Kevscar1 07:00 21 Nov 08

it depends how much you want to pay. Got this one for my wife last night and its a cracker.

click here

Ex plorer 13:17 21 Nov 08

Hi stressedmum Kevscar laptop that is shown in the click here, is hardly for gaming, you will need to spend a minimum of £700+ for a low end gaming Laptop. I am not into gaming but you need to follow Jollyjohn advice.

Ex plorer 13:30 21 Nov 08

As an example.

click here

click here

Kevscar1 17:16 21 Nov 08

£700+ for a laptop for a kid.
The phrase "more money than sense" comes to mind

Jollyjohn 19:42 21 Nov 08

When you do choose a laptop consider a second battery or remove the battery when used on mains.
My 3 yr old laptop has a battery life of 10 mins as I have always used it on mains without removing the battery.

bluto1 22:09 21 Nov 08

Be very careful about where the laptop rests. The base can get very hot, so on the childs legs is not an option.

Forum Editor 23:19 21 Nov 08

It has nothing to do with 'more money than sense', and everything to do with wanting the right machine for a child's needs.

There's little sense in buying a cheaper machine, only to find that it doesn't fit the bill, specification-wise. Provided the budget runs to it I would recommend the more highly-specified computer every time.

ronalddonald 07:17 22 Nov 08

Before computers came out what did dyslexic children use to play with, im sorry i cant see the justified cost of the laptop since there's a recession on the way. What im trying to say there has to be an alternative than using a laptop.

Forum Editor 10:56 22 Nov 08

It's not up to you to make judgements about other peoples' finances, or whether or not a purchase is justified. stressedmum asked for advice, and if you have none to offer it might be best to say nothing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now