laptop charging

cocky1 07:09 13 Dec 06

Hi i have just got a 2nd hand laptop and i cant get it to charge
It had full charge when i got it but it has gone down even tho i have had it pluggerd into the mains
what am i doing wrong ?
Thanks Cocky

Diodorus Siculus 07:46 13 Dec 06

Sounds like the battery is dead; often a problem with laptops.

How long have you had it? Having it connected to the mains with the battery installed can cause battery failure.

Taff™ 08:00 13 Dec 06

Does the charger have an LED on it and if so is it on when plugged in to the mains? (Check Fuse in the plug and make sure wall socket is working)

Is the connection into the laptop firm, not loose? If this is the first time you`ve used it since you bought it I suggest you speak to the person that gave it to you.

postie24 16:36 13 Dec 06

Take the battery out and make sure contacts are clean.If everything ok,use a multimeter to check charger is working by applying the probes to the end of power cord which plugs in laptop.Set meter to volts,and be careful when applying the probes.If all ok,then it is as diodorus siculus suggests,a replacement battery,which are not cheap.

cocky1 20:33 15 Dec 06

Thanks for all your help
But to let you all know
I have had the laptop for 1 week
it works when plugged into the mains and says the battery is charging but it is not
0% charge i have spoken to the seller By EBAY and we are trying to work something out I payed by Paypal so we will see
Once again THANKS
COCKY

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…