//some 3rd party need geo

Laptop with cd but not recognised.

pj123 15:22 07 Feb 03

I have just acquired a Time Laptop PC. it has floppy disk and CDromm. the BIOS is Phoenix. the BIOS finds HDD as 6.3gb and CD/rom.

if I go to win explorer it only shows Drives as
A: floppy disk and C: HDD. No D: which I would have assumed to be the CD Rom?

mol01 16:25 07 Feb 03

I take it is is second hand? Look in system/device manager. Is the CD mentioned there perhaps with a ?,! or x? If ?,! try click here, it may still have drivers avaliable and you will have to install them yourself. Otherwise go to the drive manufacturer's web site and find drivers there. Which windows version are you using, the newer the verison, the better the support.

Belatucadrus 17:05 07 Feb 03

Is the CD drive easily removable ? If so take it out and put it back making sure its seated in it's chassis properly.

pepe 17:29 07 Feb 03

What OS are you using?, if Win95-98/SE try going to Start/Run type "sysedit" without the quotes, check config.sys file for a line that says LASTDRIVE=Z if its not there, add it save the file and reboot. This sometimes works although it's not strictly required for windows to detect the CD Drive

pj123 11:10 08 Feb 03

Thanks for the responses. It did show up in Device Manager, but only as "Teac 244".

In the end I re-installed the Disk that came with it and now everything is fine and dandy. Now comes up as D.

Thanks again for your help.

I will tick as resolved.

Pete

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…