laptop car chargers

oxparks 14:48 11 Apr 09

I need to be able to charge my laptop when on the move in my car as I can with mobile phone, altho another option is a spare battery....

Re charges I am unclear of what wattage I need(I don't want to power the computer whilst using it in car, just to charge)

I see Maplin have one at £39'99...150watt. Another is Trust with a 70w at about £19. Will the cheaper one do the trick?

Thanks!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:40 11 Apr 09

look at the wattage on the laptop's power brick to get your answer.

woodchip 16:10 11 Apr 09

Why not use a 230 volts inverter as I do for my Laptop. mine is a 300watt Inverter you can run it on this from Car battery while bin car as well as using it to charge battery. Watts volts then is no problem

oxparks 18:04 16 Apr 09

thanks to both of you. Woodchip why do you suggest an inverter instead of a straight charger? inverters seem to be as expensive as the mapline charger and quite bulky?
thanks

woodchip 18:09 16 Apr 09

My Inverter cost about £25 for a 300Watt. I can use it for other things as well, Car Notebook charges will not be as stable as an Inverter. Also volts may be off

Stuartli 18:55 16 Apr 09

As far as I'm aware, the car charger equivalent of a mains adapter charges up at the same rate as if using the mains.

It's certainly the case with my rechargeable batteries battery charger (mains/car), which I power via the power socket in the boot when on the move.

Strawballs 18:58 16 Apr 09

My car charger 19v 120watt worked fine for charging while using my old HP laptop before the charging socket on the laptop died.

peter99co 19:19 16 Apr 09

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…