Laptop can't connect to 2.4Ghz frequencies, only 5Ghz frequencies

Soilydude 10:18 15 Dec 14

My Windows 8.1 laptop, fitted with an Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN wireless adapter, suddenly stopped automatically connecting to my router a few months ago. I attempted to connect wirelessly to multiple other routers, all to no avail. My laptop could only connect through an ethernet cable/tethered hotspot. I then moved houses and got the internet set up on a new provider and suddenly my laptop could connect wirelessly again! Sadly, after trying to connect to my university's wi-fi, I found out that the laptop wasn't fixed, it was simply able to connect to my new 5Ghz internet but still had trouble connecting to 2.4Ghz access points.

I've tried everything I can to fix this as my laptop is too vital to my studies for me to be without it even for a short period of time, therefore sending it off for diagnostic and repairs is out of the question for now. So far I have tried:

Installing the latest Windows 8.1 drivers for the card (currently on v.15.14.0.2) Replacing the wireless card with a new one (same make and model) A complete, fresh re-installation of Windows 8.1

Running out of ideas on what to try and so turning to the community for help. Even if you're not sure of a fix, determining the problem itself would also be a big help. Thanks much in advance!

northumbria61 12:05 16 Dec 14

If the problem you are having is establishing a connection to the University's Wi-Fi then why not have a word with their I.T. department? It could be something simple.

PaulMountford 14:29 27 Dec 14

I had a similar problem, except mine card would not connect to 5ghz. I searched around the net and it said update your drivers, so I did to 15.14.0.2 now it only connects to 5Ghz and not 2.4Ghz just like your problem. I tried rolling back and it didn't help create the original problem it's stuck only being able to find 5Ghz channels.

Woolwell 14:41 27 Dec 14

You may consider using a cheap dongle instead of the built in wifi.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…