//some 3rd party need geo

Laptop cant access internet

networknerd 13:41 12 Jul 05

I have my pc networked to my laptop. The pc has windows me and is the one that is connected re router to broadband internet.

The laptop is windows 2000. I put a pcmia card in the laptop, an ethernet card in the pc and used a crossover cat5 cable.

I was able to share files and internet, but now, suddenly, I cant access the internet on the laptop, just keep getting 'the page cannot be displayed'.

Any idea's why?

De Marcus 14:01 12 Jul 05

Try right clicking on the network card and selecting repair.

networknerd 18:50 12 Jul 05

Hi,

Tried that but the only option I had was to refresh, did that and I still have the problem.

woodchip 22:38 13 Jul 05

Why did you use a crossover cat5 cable. You only need a strait Ethernet cable to connect to router

mgmcc 09:09 14 Jul 05

<<<The pc has windows me and is the one that is connected re router to broadband internet.>>>

If it is actually a ROUTER, and not just a broadband MODEM, both PCs should be connected directly to the router and not to each other by crossover cable.

TomJerry 11:33 14 Jul 05

I think NO router is used in here.

Look ICS again in ME, make sure it is enabled. Have you install any firewall software recently?

networknerd 13:07 14 Jul 05

"Why did you use a crossover cat5 cable. You only need a strait Ethernet cable to connect to router"

"If it is actually a ROUTER, and not just a broadband MODEM, both PCs should be connected directly to the router and not to each other by crossover cable."

Its a BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router. So how do I connect both PC's to the router and if I do this will I still be able to use both machine's on the internet at the same time?

"I think NO router is used in here.
Look ICS again in ME, make sure it is enabled. Have you install any firewall software recently?"

Ok, if thats the case, how do I enable ICS. I have done this in the past on another pc but I cant remember. No, no firewall.

Thanks for all the help!

woodchip 15:14 14 Jul 05

With a Router Modem you do not even need a Network. Just connect the PC's to Router and it should only need drivers for a wireless PC that's connected. Both can connect at the same time I have two desktops and a Wireless Laptop all will connect and use at the same time on the net

TomJerry 15:17 14 Jul 05

one via Ethernet (lan) port, one via USB port. USB link need driver software installtion.

This is really a silly router becuase almost all good routers have 4 ethernet ports

networknerd 15:51 14 Jul 05

'USB link need driver software installtion.'

I've connected the laptop via USB, it has asked for driver, may be a silly question, but where do I get driver?

TomJerry 21:22 14 Jul 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…