Laptop- Cannot install

denali 20:57 04 Mar 05

My daughter has just come home for the weekend and her laptop is not working. One of her room-mates at Uni. formatted it and I have been trying to re-install Win xp from the original disk. The unit keeps cutting out at different times, 39% left 29% and 17%. I then restart and it restarts setup at 39% again until the cutout. It is an Advent Pentium 4. 3.6gig and 120 hard drive. everything else is onboard. I have been thru all the books and still have'nt a clue. Anyone help me please.?

alan227 23:33 04 Mar 05

Is it a full version disk or just a factory reset one.
Have you tried formating it again from the XP disk then try a re-install

woodchip 00:32 05 Mar 05

This sounds like a Restore disc. You should boot with the Restore disc in the drive

denali 00:44 05 Mar 05

It is an original xp pro disk got with the machine. I cannot get to the format option because everytime it restarts it says "resuming setup" goes for a few minutes then reboots. Any ideas?.

Forum Editor 01:00 05 Mar 05

that you format the drive from a command prompt (select that by pressing F8 as the computer starts), and then boot the computer with the Windows XP disk in the drive.

You can speed up the format process by adding the /q coomand line option. This deletes the file table and the root directory of the previously formatted volume but does not perform a sector by sector scan for bad areas.

So at the command prompt type: format C:/q

denali 01:16 05 Mar 05

Forum Editor: Thank you very much for your help. Bit late now but will do as you suggest in morning

denali 01:33 05 Mar 05

I decided to try. I can get a command prompt but only in safe mode. All that happens is it shows a long list of installed items I cannot begin to understand, but nowhere for me to type.

Sharpamatt 07:19 05 Mar 05

same problem just solved last week here
click here

Try first resetting Bias to default, then load ( dependant on system ) either your restore disc or your XP disc

denali 11:25 05 Mar 05

Sharpamatt: Thanks for pointing me to your thread. Tried most of it and am now trying the rest. Did you ever solve it.?

Sharpamatt 16:50 05 Mar 05

It wasnt my thread, just one I tried to help on.

Yes They did solve it after resetting to defaults and clearing memory block

denali 17:02 05 Mar 05

Sharpamatt. How do you clear memory block.?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…