Laptop cannot find dvd drive

six-h 16:49 11 Dec 07

I'm at a computer class, and one of the students cannot get her laptop to see the dvd.
Device mgr. says code 41, cannot see hardware.
what can we do??

Crash 16:51 11 Dec 07

what make is the computer? Can she open and close the drive?

six-h 16:54 11 Dec 07

Yes, she can open/close the drive, it's a packard bell "Easynote"

Crash 16:57 11 Dec 07

Model number? I'll try and locate a driver for it to update it. When did it stop working? Has she installed anything lately?

six-h 17:03 11 Dec 07

Model no F 5277
she recons that she's only installed a printer, (Lexmark)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:04 11 Dec 07

No CD/DVD or CD-ROM access is missing error Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
Try this if the optical drives are not appearing in My Computer or Device Manager.
(This is sometimes caused by the removal of Roxio or other writing software.)
click here
Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.
This utility is only intended for Windows® XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

or
Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

Crash 17:09 11 Dec 07

Sorry what model is the cd drive?

six-h 17:13 11 Dec 07

since class is now finishing, have given her this info, and hope that she can follow it at home!!
Thanks again to all.

six-h 17:39 12 Dec 07

Just an update to the above, Since my classes have now finished until Jan 8th, I will be out of contact with the lady concerned till then.
I have printed off your advice for her, and advised her to register with PCA Forum and take up this thread if she needs further help, so I'll leave it open for a while.
Regarding possible causes of the problem, she says that her son installed "some spying programme" that drove her mad with it's messages, so she asked him to un-install it!
I suspect that was probably either a firewall, or antivirus programme.
Is it likely that such action could make the optical drive disapear from "My computer",as all that was shown there was the hard disk??
The only other installation since the drive was last used was the Lexmark printer.
Thanks again for your swift assistance on Tuesday!

skidzy 18:44 12 Dec 07

As we know the Cd-dvd fix from Doug Knox is intended for xp.Ive used this now on two Vista premium machines personally and a couple of times it has been used by PCA members and works fine.

Just for reference,the Doug Knox script fix does work ok in Vista.

Just thought i would confirm the fix works with no after effects in Vista as well as xp.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:51 12 Dec 07

Yes I heard it appears to work for Vista as well.

Not yet inclined to upgrade to Vista myself yet. :0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017