LAPTOP Buying 1 Tomorrow WHICH ONE?

FairyWishes 00:30 27 Feb 06

Ok this is the last time i will post about this i promise come tomorrow i will actually finally be buying one of these laptops.

For those who have not read my posts before i have been on a long drwan out search for a Acer aspire 1692 wlmi well...... acer dropped their prices so i am getting one tomorrow...

But which one...
Acer Aspire 1692 wlmi £673

Intel® Pentium® M 740 (2MB L2 Cache, 1.73GHz, 533FSB), Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition, 1024MB (2*512) DDRII, 80GB HDD, DVD-Dual RW - Double Layer (slot), 15.4" WXGA Acer CrystalBrite TFT display, ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700 with 128 MB of external VRAM, Gigabit LAN, Integrated Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG, Bluetooth, 8-Cell Li-Ion battery, 4-in-1 card reader, Aspire Arcade, Microsoft® Works

Or the:
Acer Aspire 1694wlmi £749 or £789

Intel® Pentium® M 760 (2MB L2 Cache, 2.0GHz, 533FSB), Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition, 15.4" WXGA Acer CrystalBrite TFT display, ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X700 with 256MB of external VRAM, 1024MB (2*512) DDR II, 100GB HDD ATA/100 hard Disk Drive, DVD-Dual RW - Double Layer (slot), Gigabit LAN, Integrated Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG, Bluetooth, 8-Cell Li-Ion battery, 4-in-1 card reader, Aspire Arcade, Acer GridVista, Microsoft® Works

( £749= 128mb dedicated mem £789= 256 ded mem )

Acernotebooks have fab deals on but not sure which one to by or what the difference is between them bar the slight upgrade in power and the hardrive any info would be much appreciated..

Diodorus Siculus 08:36 27 Feb 06

I don't think I've read your previous threads so I don't know the intended use but I'd go for the £749 machine as a good compromise. 128mb of video memory should be fine for most things - even a degree of gaming.

If you are into gaming in a big way, spending an extra £40 might be to your advantage.

You've also got the extra 20GB hdd space which will make a difference.

I could also argue the other way round:

Buy the£673 machine and use the money left over to buy a good external hard drive.

As I don't know your needs or what hardware you already have, it's not an easy decision.

Having said all that, if money isn't a problem go with the £789 machine - it is good value for money.

De Marcus™ 09:58 27 Feb 06

I'd agree with DS, go for the mid-price one and put the rest of any spare cash on an external hard drive for backups. The difference between all 3 versions of the x700 card is minimal in terms of fps.

FairyWishes 10:07 27 Feb 06

Hi ya

Its really for home use with making animated graphics and websites etc/ebay.

Its a second machine to my back up main comp which actually blew up last week lmao so i'll need to get a new one of those too..

The thing is unlike most people i will i won't change the laptop for at least 5 years if it lives that long my main comp i had for 7 year without upgrading so i really wanted to buy something that with be ok for a while...

I had previously planned on getting the Acer Aspire 1692wlmi 1024mb when they were being sold off at comet for £649 from £899 but missed out on the deal so when i saw this price was going to jump at it but then i saw the upgraded 1694wlmi knocked down in price too and it has the extra 2.0ghz as asposed to 1.7ghz and the 256 dedicated graphics card as aposed to 128.

The £749 acer 1694 i'd prob not go for it would be between the 1692 at £673 or the 1694 at the £789 but i am just wondering as i know nothing about spec if the 1694 is a far better model then the 1692 and if its worth investing that extra £100.

ps. the harddrive i think your talking about as in external well if that what you mean i prob would not bother my main comp only had a 20gb harddrive and we didn't even use half of that up.

I just really want to know if the Acer Aspire 1694 with 256 dedicated mem graphics at £789 is a far better machine then the 1692 apart from the increased harddrive and graphics mem and obvious increase to 2.0 ghz are there any other differences in the machine?

Dellman 10:24 27 Feb 06

Have you tried DELL???

FairyWishes 10:29 27 Feb 06

Been to dell non stop been checking out the outlet shop thingy coming in way more expensive :0( at £800 plus vat found one at the weekend a notebook presicion with 2048 mem and 60gb harddrive, windows xp pro, but graphics card was a basic 64 shared so rubbish... :0( that was coming in at £786 excl vat.

De Marcus™ 11:05 27 Feb 06

You really are indecisive lol. ;-)

"I just really want to know if the Acer Aspire 1694 with 256 dedicated mem graphics at £789 is a far better machine then the 1692 apart from the increased hard drive and graphics mem and obvious increase to 2.0 ghz are there any other differences in the machine?"

No.

(I'll leave the mid-priced alone seeing as it's now no longer an option for you)

Both machines will barely break a sweat with your intended use, now and in the future. You should still consider an external hard drive as a backup, not only will it keep your data safe, but a backup program can get you back up and running approx 80% quicker than doing a restore using the supplied disks should the unmentionable happen.

There's no real benefit for you in the extra cpu and gpu speed offered by the 1694wlmi over the 1692wlmi. Animating graphics is cpu and memory intensive, the 1694wlmi would have a slight advantage here but your only talking billionths of a second in an application like photoshop(is that worth the extra £100?), but not when your talking animated web graphics, these sort of graphics will only tickle the memory and cpu's power.

Another consideration is the graphics card, essentially the same card on both machines except for an increase in memory. The 256mb graphics card will give you again only a slight advantage and only in gaming, nowhere else. It doesn't go toward it's ability to process and output web graphics and sites.

Essentially, if your into gaming (and your previous posts don't suggest so) and don't mind paying a premium of around £100 extra for a small performance advantage and 20gb more space get the 1694.

If your not into gaming or aren't bothered about the extra space, get the 1692.

Either way both are very capable, powerful machines.

Dellman 11:08 27 Feb 06

Try ringing them up......

...I got a laptop priced at £934 online for £710.

FairyWishes 12:53 27 Feb 06

Thank you do much De Marcus you have completely answered my question.. :0) andi agree with you the 1692 makes better sence :0)

FairyWishes 17:05 27 Feb 06

OK LAST QUESTION..
Just before i rush off and purchase the Acer 1692

does anyone know if how much of a difference there is between the Intel centrino pentium m processor and the AMD Athlon equivilent processor i think its turion huh?

Is ther emuch difference between the both mobile processors?

Can i just point out anyone else wanting to comment on which they prefer out of the 1692 and the 1694 feel free. :0)

Althuogh i think i will put the extra £100 to use in buying a better desktop to replace my one that blew up last week so the 1692 is looking liekly right now..

mab9 19:15 27 Feb 06

I have an Acer aspire 9504 what a computer best i have had in years can't fault it .its a Intel centrino m it fast AMD athlon run hotter than intel so in a small place like a laptop I would have intel
the end of the day it's your decision!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…