Laptop Broken Help Needed

rickilambert 08:25 08 Jul 09

Hi,

the sister was feeling brave with her laptop, thus when she got a virus she decided that she would use the in built vista 'create a boot disk' thingy and then restart the computer with the discs in and try and do a install from fresh. Nothing wrong with this IF SHE HAD MADE THE DISKS PROPERLY !!!!!

Now the laptop wont boot says BTMGR cannot be found press ctrl alt del to restart

Ok, so i have a spare vista disk, so i thought i will do a start uo repair in the repair recovery console, however when i do this i get the option to pick the operating system from the list and what do you know, there are none :woo:

There sis a button below that says select here to load the drivers if the os hasn't been found which opens up a directory window i have no idea where to find the drivers, can anyone help?

Model: Toshiba Equium p300 16t

Technotiger 08:34 08 Jul 09

Will the laptop start in Safe Mode - if so, run her anti-virus program and also this click here

What on earth made her think that creating a Boot-disk would clear a Virus? I am assuming she does have anti-virus program on her laptop.

Taff™ 08:43 08 Jul 09

If all else fails she could do a complete factory reset from the Recovery Partition or is that what she was trying to do?

rickilambert 08:44 08 Jul 09

no safe mode selection as it doesn't get to that point

she wanted to use the boot disk <i assume> to put get the computer back to how it was when she bought it

yes she has mcafee tho when i fix this she is having avg or avast

Technotiger 08:49 08 Jul 09

Sorry, I don't understand this comment - is she tapping the relevant F key during a re-start? I am not sure, but I think it is probably F2 that needs to be repeatedly pressed to get into Safe mode.

Taff™ 08:53 08 Jul 09

It`s F8 which gives you the advanced boot options from where you should select Repair Your Computer. Note that all data will be lost.

rickilambert 08:53 08 Jul 09

it should be the f8 button, f2 is the bios setup on this

as soon as you tap f8 you get the error message i posted in the original post

Technotiger 09:03 08 Jul 09

If all else fails, perhaps you might have better luck here click here

rickilambert 09:33 08 Jul 09

anyone else?

Taff™ 09:47 08 Jul 09

Are you using a Vista Home Premium disc that corresponds with her Vista installation? I`m looking for a way to fix the Boot Manager - can you give me the exact message you got from your first post please.

rickilambert 09:49 08 Jul 09

the exact error message is

BOOTMGR is missing
Press Ctrl Alt Del to restart

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5