Laptop Broadband

Barrykneeshaw 14:14 04 Aug 09

I have home Broadband for my desktop which my laptop happily connects to wirelessly.
I am considering mobile Broadband with the same supplier but wonder if the two would conflict. If I'm at home I wouldn't want to use up Pay As You Go credit when I get it on my Home Broadband at no extra cost. Any advice?
I wouldn't mind online gaming on the mobile broadband either but does this count as downloads or is it just browsing? In other words, is this prohibitively expensive?
I connected my mobile phone (different supplier) to my laptop and managed to connect to the Internet! Cost me £10 for 5 minutes. is there an alternative. Apologies for length. Am exploring possibilities. Thanks.

woodchip 14:25 04 Aug 09

No you can use both at the same time as they are different Networks. That is if you can get a good Mobile Connection, I take it by Mobile you mean something like 3 or a T-Mobile Dongle

woodchip 14:27 04 Aug 09

Downloads include Everything on your Monitor when you connect including Adverts. Games are not a option with a Dongle. You also have a strict limit on how much you can download. It was on TV other day that going over can put you strait into Overheads of £200 for just going over, it depends on the Server you choose to go with

Barrykneeshaw 14:56 04 Aug 09

Sad, but not important about the gaming option.
When i connected my mobile phone 2 the laptop and got online (I was surprised) I used Nokia PC Suite. I did go into a well known online game and it played equally as well as via Home Broadband! Why did this work? Surely my bog standard phone doesn't work at broadband speeds? I have no extra phone options...

woodchip 18:01 04 Aug 09

no idea, but I think that BB dongle also does not have as good coverage as Mobile Phone

woodchip 18:03 04 Aug 09

Not just that but running a Dongle for games etc would go strait over you Gig Cap, you would then be paying big, big, time

Barrykneeshaw 18:51 05 Aug 09

Thank you, Woodchip. Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…