Laptop booting into DOS

bamfiesler 14:15 01 Apr 03

My other half has been given a laptop that has been jiggered about with. All I know of this machine is there's a verison of Windows 98 on it - I can briefly see it on startup - but the machine then boots into DOS. I, for my sins, have been asked to help. Any ideas, or is it worth trying a reformat?
Thanx

Lú-tzé 14:29 01 Apr 03

Well, one thing you can do at the DOS prompt is type

win

That may start windows for you.

If not, type

c:\windows\win

that may start windows.

If not, type

edit c:\autoexec.bat

[I think that is the required command]

and post back what is there - it will give an idea of why windows is not loading.

bamfiesler 14:38 01 Apr 03

Thanx, but all I keep getting is 'bad command or file name'.

What I have at the moment is C:\> and the flashing cursor.....

bamfiesler 14:40 01 Apr 03

I have just typed 'command prompt' and gotten back 'specified COMMAND search directory bad'.

Sounds great............

Lú-tzé 14:45 01 Apr 03

Typing "command prompt" won't get you anywhere!

Try typing

scandisk

and see if that will run.

Or try

dir

to see a directory listing of what is on the hdd.

bamfiesler 14:49 01 Apr 03

did that;nothing

bamfiesler 14:54 01 Apr 03

sorry, got 'dir' that time.

Lú-tzé 14:56 01 Apr 03

OK - get a windows 98 boot disk, from, for example, bootdisk.com click here and try starting with it in the floppy drive.

It is strange that nothing happens when you type in these commands at the DOS prompt. Do the letters appear on the screen? What happens when you press the enter button?

bamfiesler 14:57 01 Apr 03

typing C:\>DIR gave me, amonsgt other things, 1 file(S) 93,890 bytes 0 dir(S) 17,914.84 MB free

bamfiesler 14:59 01 Apr 03

I am running an authentic 98se boot disk also

Lú-tzé 15:09 01 Apr 03

Sounds like it may be time to try reinstalling windows - do you have a win98 cd? If so, have a go as long as there is nothing valuable on it that may be needed.

Start it with the bootdisk and see what you can do with that - i.e. get any commands.

Or simply type

d:\setup

assuming the cd drive is D:

Then follow the setup instructions for Win98.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…