Laptop boot failure, thoughts please.

Belatucadrus 12:47 27 May 05

My old laptop is currently non functional, there is no boot activity at all, no post beeps, no screen activity. I've tried it with a startup floppy, no affect, I've changed the RAM modules, no effect. Mains seems to be OK as last time I used it I'd run the battery down about half way, but it's now fully charged.
It's been suggested that it's a hard disk failure, now this is not too difficult to swap, but I'm loathe to pay up for a new drive if the existing one is OK.
So the question, does this sound like laptop hard drive failure ?

Indigo 1 14:02 27 May 05

If there are no post beeps then I don't think a new HDD will make any difference. It will usually be either the CPU, MoBo or PSU which is faulty.

You should be able to get it to beep on post without the HDD installed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:22 27 May 05

Try booting with battery removed.

Bad battery can pull down mains supply so will give symtons as described.

Would boot without HDD and give error message no OP system so would boot with Floppy.

A CMOS battery change my help and is a cheap try even if it makes no difference

Joe R 15:33 27 May 05

would agree with the last two postings, but would tend to veer towards the Psu or Mobo, being the faulty component.

A faulty CPU should also give an error message. (regular extended single beep).

Belatucadrus 16:25 27 May 05

Thanks guys, forgot to mention I'd already tried it without the battery. You're confirming my fears as I'd have expected to be able to access the BIOS using a boot diskette, even if the drive was kaput. Which in a way is a shame as the hard drive is accessible, the rest is in the case and despite removing all the screws I can't get the bottom panel off.
Looks like striping it down and ebaying the bits then looking for a new budget machine, an expense I can well do without.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…