laptop bios does not detect dvd/cd combo

Lady Lara 17:11 05 Jan 06

I have got a Novatech Notebook 8375X and it does not autodetect the dvd/cd drive. I think the drive is broken and wonder how to test it. I go into the bios but it says IDE1 is disabled. Have looked about to 'enable it' but cannot seemt to find it. Would a bios upgrade help? Does it give extra options in menu's?

Any help is gladly welcomed.

LL

Skyver 17:31 05 Jan 06

Look in BIOS for Onboard IDE or something similar, make sure both Primary and Secondary channels are enabled.

Lady Lara 17:46 05 Jan 06

I have got the following options only in BIOS (System Configuration):

Main... Date and Time, Boot Device, Internal Num Lock

Advanced....LPT Port, COM POrts, Shared Mem, TV System

Security.... Boot Password, SCU Password, Hard Disk Boot Sector

Exit.. Speaks for itself

Front page of Bios shows Devices, System details and Mem Details but cannot alter any of them

CD is an option in Boot device but there appears to be no to alter the IDE.

I have downloaded an .exe with an attached .bin file of the BIOS update but doubleclick of .exe file doesn't change anything (even bios version)

Skyver 17:52 05 Jan 06

BIOS updates can't be run from Windows, and unless you /know/ one is required is not recommended.
That sounds like a meagre BIOS page - where does it say IDE1 disabled? What do you see if you select `Devices`?

Lady Lara 18:03 05 Jan 06

I cannot select devices as i cannot navigate to it. It is more of an information page

Skyver 18:19 05 Jan 06

You may be right about the drive being damaged. Can you get/borrow an external USB drive or CD writer you can plug in to check? I take it the drive doesn't appear in Windows.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:32 05 Jan 06

Looks like a rebadged Mitek laptop

IDE settings would normally be under the Advanced settings.

Any idea of the BIOS type + No. ie award pheonix?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…