laptop battery won't charge

s99Raj 18:27 19 Oct 03

I have an Advent laptop battery that won't charge up. I've tried a different chrger but get the same problem. At times the battery starts to charge, then stops after a few seconds.

Apart from needing a new battery, could it be anything else? The laptop doesn't switch on when plugged into the mains either. Does that mean a more significant problem, or does it need a good battery to be able to work off the mains?

Cheers.

Megatyte 18:59 19 Oct 03

Try connecting to the mains with the battery removed. If the laptop then powers up then this would indicate an internal short circuit in the battery pack.

AH

s99Raj 19:16 19 Oct 03

It doesn't work with the battery removed either.

Megatyte 19:44 19 Oct 03

It's possible that the charger socket on the laptop has developed a dry/cracked solder joint. Connect the charger and CAREFULLY wiggle the charger plug. Does this show any signs of life?

AH

s99Raj 19:50 19 Oct 03

When I wriggle the lead I sometimes get the green "Battery Low" light come on for about half a second.

graham√ 19:54 19 Oct 03

The symptoms you describe are those of a failling battery. Try connecting to the mains, then connecting the battery.

Megatyte 19:55 19 Oct 03

You have a dry/cracked solder joint on the charger socket. Easily repaired by anyone with a low wattage soldering iron and the knowledge of how to get inside the case ;o)

AH

s99Raj 19:58 19 Oct 03

Thank you for this. I've tried getting inside the case and it's a real bugger. Too many tiny screws everywhere. I've taken out all the ones I can see but the back still won't come off. Perseverance I guess?

Megatyte 20:04 19 Oct 03

Make sure that the screws go back in the right positions. You'll find some that are longer than others. Can't give you any instructions as I'm not familiar with the Advent case. Post back as to how you fare.

AH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…