Laptop battery usage, info please!

rickf 17:05 20 Aug 03

Hi All,
When I click on the ( Fully Charged) battery icon in the systray it says I have 3.5 hrs left. I tested this by playing a DVD and it lasted only over an hr. Is there something wrong with the battery or is it 'cause playing DVD uses up the battery quicker than say normal use like word processing etc. Any info gratefully appreciated. I need to know if it is faulty as its a new laptop and I can take it back pronto. Thanks.

Jester2K II 17:18 20 Aug 03

"playing DVD uses up the battery quicker than say normal use like word processing etc. "

probably cos its got to power the DVD drive for a couple of hours. This puts extra load on the battery. Word processing doesn't add this load.

rickf 17:23 20 Aug 03

Than Jester2K II for the info. The battery was fully charged, should it not at least have enough juice to play the whole DVD. I was taken aback by it lasting just slightly over an hr. What do you think?

rickf 17:24 20 Aug 03

Should read Thanks Jester2K....

Jester2K II 17:29 20 Aug 03

I'm not sure - i don't use laptops but have come across this before.

If you post the make and model here maybe someone else will compare figures.

rickf 17:36 20 Aug 03

Its a Medion 2552 P4 2.0 mobile widescreen with 512mb ddr.

rickf 17:56 20 Aug 03

bump

fitshase 17:57 20 Aug 03

Is this a new battery or is it a battery that you have had for a while.

It may be the case that the battery has developed a "memory" (which usually happens if you use a laptop plugged into the mains all of the time). The battery will think that it is empty when you start to charge it. It will then "remember" this level and show as being empty (when in fact you could have more juice left in it).

If it is a new battery then it should last about 1.5 hours playing a DVD. However, this depends on a number of factors:-

- how many background processes you have running at the same time as the DVD film (as this will use the processor and in turn use more battery).

- what equipment you have plugged into the laptop (USB printer, network card, wi-fi card, other USB devices - such as an optical mouse) which all use power.

- how loud you have the volume (as the speakers are powered by the battery, the louder you have the film the more battery power it uses). Try using headphones.

- does your laptop have a monitor brightness setting in the power options in control panel. If so, set it to a medium brightness (i.e., not super bright).

I managed 2 and a bit episodes of 24 (the series) on DVD which are 45 minutes each episode - just over 1.5hrs before the battery started displaying the warnings.

I hope this helps,

Regards

Fitshase

rickf 18:05 20 Aug 03

Futshase, Thanks. That, I think, clarifies it for me. Its a new battery which came with the laptop. I guess its about right then. I am testing it under "normal usage" just to see at the mo.

fitshase 18:10 20 Aug 03

I think that your battery is fine by the sounds of it.

If you fully charge the battery so it says your have 3.5hrs left, disable all power saving settings, remove any screensavers, and stop any background programs.

Leave your laptop switched on and it should last about 3.5hrs.

The time it says is left is how much you have left without running anything or touching the keyboard.

Regards

Fitshase

rickf 18:34 20 Aug 03

Thanks, I'll tick this as resolved unless I encounter something new.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…