Laptop Battery Problems

bryrach 20:22 26 Sep 03

Laptop Battery Probs
I have an Advent L/top running Xp home. I've had it 16 months and its never given me a minutes trouble. However this past 2 days the battery charges to 100% then drains down fast then machine cuts out?. I re-boot and machine tells me windows has experienced a problem and has shut down. I follow the procedure and after a few false starts it eventually boots up. Problem is it reverts back to draining battery then back to the same problem, drains, switches off, have to re-boot etc. Any ideas on solving the prob.

phono 20:31 26 Sep 03

Does it run okay from mains power?

TD

jojo_1 20:38 26 Sep 03

You need to recondition your battery, have you been using it on charge all the time? If you have then this doesnt condition the battery for use without a charger and kills it.

Leave it on charge for 24 hours without using it, then use it without charge until it drains, do this 3 times and it should recondition it, failing that it sounds like you need a new one,this is the reason that batteries arent covered in warranty, the manufacturer usually gives only a 9 month guarantee.

bryrach 21:14 26 Sep 03

Phono & joj0_1

Ta for your respones. It runs from mains power, but only for a short time, then cuts the power.
This happens even when I take out the battery and run on AC Power. I then put in the Battery and after 4 or 5 attempts it boots up.

fred 21:18 26 Sep 03

It is possible that running without the battery can result in the symptoms that you describe.
From experience I suggest that you try jojo_1 's possible cure. It worked for me.

jojo_1 21:18 26 Sep 03

Try a different charger, it sounds like its not charging the battery properly, you can buy universal ones.

Belatucadrus 23:28 26 Sep 03

click here for a usefull FAQ page on batteries.

phono 23:34 26 Sep 03

bryrach

It looks to me like a defective power supply or the laptop itself is defective.

When you say that it runs for a while on mains then cuts the power what exactly do you mean?

Does the LED on the PSU go out? If so it's most likely that the PSU is knackered.

bryrach 09:12 27 Sep 03

Phono

While running on mains, the cursor freezes and won't move. My only option is to then switch of and reboot, the LED does go out. On rebooting it takes a number of attempts before switching on.

Chaz2003 11:13 28 Sep 03

Its the same with all rechargable batteries if you dont charge your battery for the right amount of time it says on the booklet when you first get it this will result in a bad battery life.

It could also be that you are using the laptop and when you go to recharge it it has half a battery then this is also bad for the batteries health what i would say is your may have damaged your battery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…