Laptop Battery Life Between Charges

The Spires 11:19 30 Mar 05

A friend of mine recently purchase an Athlon 2.8+ based laptop in February this year& she is quite concerned about the limited battery life. At best the battery fades in 45 mins at worst less than 25 mins. I know the battery was conditioned fro new as I installed software etc & I did a full charge then total discharge then a full charge then another full discharge as instructed by Novatech.

As I have limited dealings with laptops I am interested what could be deemed a reasonable battery life between charges using the machine for surfing the net for example. I am going to ring Novatech up for her today & see what can be done.

stlucia 12:58 30 Mar 05

Some of the PC Advisor laptop reviews indicate that battery life is 2 to 3 hours or more under their standard test conditions. Not sure how this relates to your personal use, but 45 minutes sounds much too little for a new battery.

fitcher 13:15 30 Mar 05

my laptop has a battery life of two hours .and less if used with the cdrom. .or games .now I would like to know, should a battery be run down and recharged ,and is that, the best to do ,or, if one engages the power supply each time one uses a laptop ,I don't know ? .my son says his laptop battery is actualy lasting longer than when he first bought his laptop .perhaps a few full discharges helps ,alan

fitcher 13:16 30 Mar 05

my laptop has a battery life of two hours .and less if used with the cdrom. .or games .now I would like to know, should a battery be run down and recharged ,and is that, the best to do ,or, if one engages the power supply each time one uses a laptop ,I don't know ? .my son says his laptop battery is actualy lasting longer than when he first bought his laptop .perhaps a few full discharges helps ,alan

Fingees 13:47 30 Mar 05

Batteries should be run down to about 10% of charge.
Not to absolute zero charge, as this can damage certain batteries.

If they keep getting charged before being drained, ie by continually being used on mains,in a state of semi-charge they develope a memory like Nicads, then refuse to discharge past this point,
or sometimes charge past this point

wee eddie 15:38 30 Mar 05

Just tested my Advent 7007. Not a cutting edge machine nor particularly efficient.

I got 40 minutes surfing out of a battery that has been ,almost, permanently connected to the mains for over 2 years.

It goes walkabout every week or so but otherwise just sits there, connected.

I ran the test as I cannot remember any review that mentioned such a low running time. 80/90 minutes seem to have been regarded as a pretty weak performance.

woodchip 16:08 30 Mar 05

Don't use my battery it as been stored in fridge from new at about 45% charge. And also got a 300watt Inverter so can use in car or from a car booster battery starter

The Spires 16:23 30 Mar 05

Points taken, thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:58 30 Mar 05

Laptop Batteries
click here

The Spires 20:12 30 Mar 05

Thanks it seems 30 mins or so is unreasonable for a month old Pc.

woodchip 20:20 30 Mar 05

It depends on the CPU and how much you give it to do. Decided from go. As a new battery for my Laptop come out at £165 and the last about two years

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…