Laptop battery life.

Nimblefingers 09:44 15 Feb 05

I recently purchased a new Gericom Ego laptop with Centrino Technology which is supposed to have a battery life of over 6 hours when fully charged. This was one of the main reasons that I purchased this model.
I now find that, after charging, the highest battery life available is 3 hours.
I have tried using the battery until it is completely empty and then charging for a full 24 hours. I then hold the mouse over the battery icon and it say's that the battery is 100% charged with 3hrs lifetime in brackets.
A phone call to the Gericom helpline brought the response that I would have to reduce the CPU speed to increase the battery life to 6 hours.
Is this correct?. If so, how do I do it? Or was their claim of 6 hours battery life inaccurate?
What is the point of having a fast processor if it is necessary to reduce the speed to maximise the life of the battery?
Thanks Pat.

Jeffers22 09:56 15 Feb 05

A battery life of 6 hours is probably only possible if the machine is switched on but idle. If you made the point, probably in writing, at the time of purchase that the fundamental reason you bought it was the claim of 6 hours battery life, you may have a case for return.

Aaahh marketing men!

spuds 10:08 15 Feb 05

I think that you will find the 6 hours is based on idle mode, similar to mobile phones tests. Batteries are a very funny product, depending on type of product and manufacturing process.Going from the old lead acids to what is available nowadays, is a whole different ballgame.

Find out the manufacturer of the battery, and see what information they have available. Here is a supplier who could perhaps help click here

Nimblefingers 12:59 15 Feb 05

I would like to write to Gericom but cannot find an address for them anywhere. Does anyone have their address please?

toni b 15:14 15 Feb 05
  fitcher 18:01 15 Feb 05

I do not know of any laptop that will do its recommended battery life if being used for dvd playing ,or any amount of work, and thats a fact of life ,unles you want to carry a car battery around with you ,when I bought mine I was under no illusions about that .some people moan when the psu reduces to save power even ,

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:09 15 Feb 05

Laptop Batteries
click here

read this

FelixTCat 19:25 15 Feb 05

Laptops fitted with mobile versions of processors are designed to run the processor much more slowly when on battery power to conserve battery life. Some are dynamically controlled so that the processor speed will react to the computing load.

You can extend battery life by adjusting the power options.

Go into Control Panel - Power Options and under Settings set the Turn off monitor and Turn off hard disks to whatever figure you wish.

You should also note that to get any significant battery life you should switch off the wireless adapter.

You may find this utility to be useful: click here You can use it to change the processor speed and override the defaults.

I am typing this on an Ego in my living room, wirelessly connected through my router upstairs. It is a very good machine, let down by a very unresponsive keyboard.

Diodorus Siculus 19:29 15 Feb 05

Running suse 9.2 on my laptop, the processor cuts down from 1500 mhz (Centrino) to 600mhz when there is only a light load. This gives me 4 hours and 20 minutes - when all I do is type on openoffice.org.

Your machine should have something like speedstep enabled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…