Laptop battery failure

pheonix31 12:16 29 Oct 03

I have an Acer laptop which usually runs on mains, recently I tried to run on battery and it died after a couple of mins. I bought a new battery and all seemed to go well, but, the battery still wont run the laptop. When I put it on charge and monitor it seems to be charging ok and over the required time the indicator slowly shows a rise in power but when it shows fully charged and I try to run on it it still dies, when re-booted the monitor shows the nattery back to 5%.
Any body got any ideas,
thanks FastEd( Now very slow Ed)

graham√ 12:24 29 Oct 03

Have a look in Control Panel, Power Options. See if anything untoward.

keenan 12:51 29 Oct 03

There are several steps you can take to insure that you get maximum performance from the battery:
Break In New Batteries:New batteries come in a discharged condition and must be fully charged before use. It is recommended that you fully charge and discharge the new battery two to four times to allow it to reach its maximum rated capacity.

Prevent the Memory Effect: Keep the battery healthy by fully charging and then fully discharging it at least once every two to three weeks. Exceptions to the rule are Li-Ion batteries which do not suffer from the memory effect.

tbh72 13:05 29 Oct 03

Without sounding too dumb, how do you discharge a battery?

keenan 13:27 29 Oct 03

In general:
if you can access the 'battery contacts'a 12v car bulb ( 4/5w )ie. side repeater is ideal as this will fully discharge it.
If its not accessible then leaving the item 'switched on' until it fully discharged is the only option.

tbh72 13:29 29 Oct 03

Thanks for that Keenan, on further investigation my battery is a Li Ion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…