laptop batteries not charging to 100%

darthballs 13:31 22 Sep 14

Hi all, I've tried two different batteries, when i take the laptop off charge and use it, whatever level the battery is at when i plug the charger back in, it remains at that level and won't fully charge. So I've got one battery at 87% and one at 20%, is it worth doing a calibration, i'm not sure to try it if it means charging the battery down only for it to not charge back up!

darthballs 13:56 22 Sep 14

Its a samsung, i've got the battery life extender switched off. I've tried it on and off, but the battery doesn't appear to charge up past whatever percentage its on before i plug the laptop back onto charge.

BillSers 15:46 22 Sep 14

I believe you run the battery right down to zero which recalibrates it, then recharge. It doesn't work if it's down to say 10%.

darthballs 17:03 22 Sep 14

I've tried taking the battery out and holding the power button down, didn't work. I'm going to calibrate one of the batteries, but i can't see this helping as its not fully charging either of the batteries, so must be something wrong with the laptop?

alanrwood 20:34 22 Sep 14

Sounds as though one of the batteries (20%) has probably come to the end of its life. You can not lose anything by trying a recalibration on the one that works (87%). If that works then you can try again with the other battery but I don't hold out much hope as it sounds like one cell inside the battery has gone kaput.

Let us know how it goes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…