Laptop is assigned an 169.xxx.xx.xx address. Why ?

dognabbit 17:53 13 Mar 07

Once again, I dig deep into the realms of wireless networking.
I have my Broadband internet coming through a voyager 2110 router. Desktop hooks up to internet just fine, however, my laptop, which uses a wlan dongle makes a strong connection but wont access internet. I'm sure the ip address should be of the ilk xxx.xxx.x.x Can anyone shed some light on an easy to follow troubleshoot ?
Any help is greatly appreciated, as my family are starting to wear black and mourn me.

mgmcc 20:35 13 Mar 07

The Wireless Network Adapter has been unable to get an IP address (probably in a 192.168.x.x range) from the router and Windows has defaulted to allocating a 169.254.x.x address. This will give the "Limited or No Connectivity" indication and the Laptop will be unable to access either the router or the internet.

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

moorie- 14:05 14 Mar 07

have a read of this it may help
click here

dognabbit 15:54 14 Mar 07

I've had a look through that article. When running the ipconfig/all on my laptop, it comes up with 'dhcp enabled: No'. I have a 'gut' feeling that that should be a yes. How do I change that setting ?

dognabbit 16:02 14 Mar 07

Got DHCP enabled, but still no further forward :O(

dognabbit 16:11 14 Mar 07

I manage to get 'feedback' from my laptop using 'ipconfig/all' but my desktop (which is hardwired to the router), fails to return anything at all. Any ideas ?

moorie- 16:48 14 Mar 07

is the node type correct?
can each pc ping itself?
can each pc ping by the others name?
is tcp/ip net bios service running on each machine?
is the guest account and no password set as per the directions?
have you disabled windows firewall(keep checking it)
as i found it switched back on when trying different options

have you uninstalled other firewalls?

are client for microsoft networks/internet protocol/file and printer sharing
in wireless connection properties installed?
post back which ones are not done

dognabbit 16:53 14 Mar 07

It was the firewall stopping the ipconfig. Still progressing other problems. Thanks for your help.

dognabbit 17:09 15 Mar 07

node type is correct (unknown)

each pc can ping itself

each pc cannot ping the others ip

each pc cannot ping the others name

tcp/ip net bios service is running on each machine

guest account and no password set

disabled windows & Norton firewall

client for microsoft networks/internet protocol/file and printer sharing
in wireless connection properties installed

moorie- 18:13 15 Mar 07

is it working, if not what issues have you got?

postie24 19:00 15 Mar 07

This sounds like a security issue.Have you carried across the wep,wpa settings to the laptop?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced