laptop advice and is it worth the cash

spacedonkey1976 17:51 19 Dec 11

HI ladies and gents,

Our in Qatar with the RAF.

American shop on camp has got laptops for sale.

The one i'm looking at is approx £340 (pounds not dollars). 350 quid is my budget and i would seek to get it soon

Toshiba Satellite P755 6 GIG RAM 64 bit operating system Intel(R) Core (TM) i5 2430M CPU @2.40 GHZ Graphics Intel HD Graphics family (1696 MB total available graphics)

1. Is that a good deal?
  2. Will it be ok for sticking movie clips together in movie maker for HD footage?
  3. Will it be pretty fast online etc ( i know it depends on connection etc )

Thanks in advance

Steve

KRONOS the First 18:20 19 Dec 11

Seems a pretty good price as they seem to go for about £500-£600 depending on model.

Question 1: I would say yes.

Question 2: Again I would say yes.

Question 3: As you say that is dependant on your connection speed.

Ian in Northampton 18:24 19 Dec 11

£340 for a Core i5 6GB Toshiba laptop? I'd have their hands off... I'd think that was seriously good value. The cheapest I can find that model on eBay is £466 - +£70 postage from the US. (If it makes any difference, I'd suggest the model you're looking at is a US model). I wouldn't have too many doubts about its graphics capability: the integrated graphics that come with the Core i5 are supposed to be pretty good - and editing video is a memory hog, but the 6GB should be more than sufficient. Online performance should be just fine. I'd say: go for it.

robin_x 18:51 19 Dec 11

You can easily change US keyboards to UK for £15-30.

Then change Windows settings.

Plenty of youtube videos how to do it or post back here.

Don't do a Bradley Manning. Happy Christmas.

robin_x 18:57 19 Dec 11

Oh and grab a 110V-240V AC travel adapter plug ($2?) while your there. The 'brick' will be 110V-240V but with crappy pins.

Or you can by another here for ~£15

robin_x 18:59 19 Dec 11

I can spell honest

john bunyan 19:17 19 Dec 11

I have bought 2 Toshibas this year for relatives. Yours seems a bargain - see here for a lower spec PC. http://www.johnlewis.com/231395883/Product.aspx I would go for it. Does it include Windows 7 64 bit - do ensure you get the id code or this as to buy W7 could be expensive.

onthelimit1 20:47 19 Dec 11

PX prices are usually very competitive (if you're allowed to shop there). Spent a fortnight in the Quatari mess a few years ago - interesting food and no booze! Liked the cardoman coffee though..

robin_x 21:07 19 Dec 11

Just thought, VAT applies in the Red Channel!??

HMRC

spacedonkey1976 11:32 20 Dec 11

Thanks to everyone for all the information and advice.

No need to worry about VAT on a military flight Robin ;)

The different key layout doesnt bother me too much and i'll get the right adapters for the brick too.

John, its Windows 7 home premium, is that an issue mate?

robin_x 11:45 20 Dec 11

Actually I was confused yesterday, thinking of adapter bricks that plug in the socket and only a DC lead.

Just cut the US plug off the AC lead and fit a UK plug of course.

W7 Home is fine. There are a few features not supported, compared to W7 Professional and Ultimate. (Remote Desktop and Network Backup, but there are free apps that do that)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…