Laptop Advice.

bda72 17:54 01 Jun 03

I have just moved house and we have less space so my computer is being asigned to the attic. While it will be usable up there it will be far from handy so we are thinking about a laptop. While I know a reasonable amout about computer specs I have never owned a laptop and can only guess about the must haves and things that are not too important.

Obliously the laptop will be used as a desktop replacement although I will still have access to my desktop, it will be used out and about for work but I don't think battery life will be too essential.

The specs i'm guessing are important to me are:-

Windows XP Professional (For networking both machines)
512Mb Ram
DVD/CDRW Combo
15" Screen
40 Gig Hard drive or more.

As for graphics I would like to play some games on the laptop but it is not that important as I know my budget of around £1200 won't get me everything and I'm not sure on processor choice.

If anyone out there can tell me any features their machine has that they couldn't do without or features that they never use please help me out.

Many thanks.

Barry.

barrie_g 18:09 01 Jun 03

you seem to have the main things covered just take your time and have a good look around and get the fastest processor you can.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:37 01 Jun 03

You could do a lot worse than.... click here ...the one at the top for £699 or PCW are flogging a medion laptop (pentium 4), which would be my choice, for £799.. click here

G

bda72 08:33 03 Jun 03

This is the one that I am looking at just now click here just over the £1300 mark so a bit of a stretch but specs look worth it, price includes 15.1" screen, 512Mb, 60 gig hard drive win XP pro and wireless lan module. It is from AJP, any reason to avoid them?

Thanks again.

TECHNODIMWIT 08:48 03 Jun 03

click here

search for laptop. what more could you want for £999.

my brother bought one last month, does more than some desktops on sale.

mark

TechMad 09:28 03 Jun 03

Try: click here or click here

The first link goes to a manufacturer that offers as standard a 3 year warranty. However, because they use an "On Board" graphics chip, 3D performance is a bit sluggish - i.e. not the best for games.

The second link goes to a supplier of good value laptop/notebooks. However remember to select an operating system, as one is not supplied as standard.

Belatucadrus 12:46 03 Jun 03

Why not have a look at the Hi-grade Xperian click here very good review at PCA click here and low footprint.

bda72 19:28 03 Jun 03

Xperian looks good but I will need a Laptop for work now. The search contiues.

bda72 20:23 11 Jun 03

After much searching I decided on an AJP D410E after talking to the salesman, he emailed me the specs and quote as reqhested and in very quick time but almost a week has gone by and he has not replied to my question as to the %APR. Now wondering if they don't answer before I buy what hope do I have with after sales?

I am now looking at a Sony Vaio GRV616S it matches all my main specs and has a 16" screen and DVD-RW which would be handy for the home movies, bore all friends with South Africa trip, and it comes with a free Sony U20 digital camera all for £1532.20 which seems like a good price for the specs but what do I know.

Thanks for any help given.

Barry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…