LAPTOP ADVICE

sarah424 12:15 07 Feb 09

HI
WE ARE BUYING A LAPTOP FOR MY DAUGHTERS BIRTHDAY. SHE WANTS THIS ONE click here BUT I AM NOT SURE IF ITS MAINLY BECAUSE ITS PINK. NOT BEING VERY TECHNICHAL I WONDER IF ANYONE COULD ADVISE ME IF THE SPEC FOR THIS IS ANY GOOD. pRESUMABLY THE WINDOWS VISTA INCLUDES OFFICE ON IT. THINK SHE WILL JUST NEED TO BE ABLE TO DO A BIT OF SURFING, WATCH AN ODD MOVIE, PREPARE A WORD AND EXCEL DOCUMENT - NOTHING TOO HIGH TECH. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.
THANKS

Diodorus Siculus 12:24 07 Feb 09

It's a good machine - a little price premium for the Sony name but not overly so.

Office will not be included.

Openoffice from click here is a very good alternative and free of charge.

tullie 12:24 07 Feb 09

Try not to type in upper case,its considered rude.
If thats all she is using it for then you can get much cheaper.Office will not be included unless stated.

wee eddie 12:29 07 Feb 09

The Copy of M$ Office is a 60 Day Trial.

It will cost you about £100 to continue using it after 60 days and that will not give you the Disk (it's the Download Version).

sarah424 12:43 07 Feb 09

Sorry my typing is atrocious so i noramlly type in caps as it is quicker - i shall try very hard. If this laptop is ok for what she wants sorry but i have another question - are e-buyer any good with support/problems/guarantees etc or is there anywhere else we could get it. i am entitled to student discount but not sure if anywhere will take that??

Diodorus Siculus 12:49 07 Feb 09

You can buy home/student Office 2007 for about £70 or so I think in the UK.

I can't comment on ebuyer - many here are great fans of their service, other complain at times.

tullie 13:14 07 Feb 09

Save yourself at least £100 on a laptop,then if you have to pay for office,its not as painfull,personely i would download open office.

User-1229748 13:26 07 Feb 09

i think she may want that one because it's a sony aswell as being pink and as others have said "open office" is free and an able alternative to ms office.i would have a nose around the ebuyer forums to see if others have been happy with their support but remember a lot of people will post in forums because of problems and for every one person that does have a problem there will be many others that don't.the spec will be plenty good enough for what she needs it for :o)

sarah424 18:28 07 Feb 09

Thats great thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…