Laptop advice

Si_L 22:45 10 Jul 07

I have been asked by parents to help them with a computing thing. Friends of theirs are coming to England for a while (not sure how long, could be few months or years), and they are staying at a friends who has no computer.

They want a laptop so that they can email the rest of the family in Bulgaria, and that is all the laptop will be used for.

I can find them a suitable laptop, it only needs to be basic with a wireless card.

She needs to sign up with an ISP who should hopefully provide the hardware needed (wireless router with modem).

Am I forgetting anything else she needs? How much do you think this will cost?

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this!

:)

LastChip 23:11 10 Jul 07

click here for a laptop I bought recently and have been delighted with. In fact my short review explains further click here what I did to it to speed it up. Keep in mind, at this price point, Vista will be very slow and you may like to consider alternatives.

Si_L 23:51 10 Jul 07

Thanks for comment, the laptop is too high spec though! It is being used for nothing but emails!

acxxxx 00:01 11 Jul 07

You could be better using a mobile phone (like a blackberry) to send/recieve the email's if thats all you want.

Si_L 00:11 11 Jul 07

Genius idea, don't know why that didn't cross my mind! Is email cheap/easy to set up on a Blackberry?

acxxxx 00:38 11 Jul 07

I don’t use the blackberry, I use an O2 mini xda and email was no harder to set up on that, than on a normal computer (xda's run windows mobile).

As for cost, email's alone will never use up your contracts data allowance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now