Laptop adaptor connector tip melting

Shmau 21:43 04 Mar 14

I got a new FSP065-RAC adaptor, it has changable connector tips. I used the same adaptor before, but the reason I got the new one is that the tip I use (tip#4, U2) broke, and since where I live I can't get a new tip and ordering from outside takes time (it seems everywhere they are out of this specific tip) I just decided to get a new set of the adaptor. (I wasn't sure if the end where the tip inserts was working either after the breaking.) I use a Lenovo IdeaPad B560 and the previous FSP adaptor worked fine, no problems of any kind. Today, some hours after connecting the new adaptor it started smelling like burning plastic, so I discovered that the tip of the new adaptor had melted a bit. Turned off the laptop and disconnected the adaptor. It seems like the reason is in the new adaptor or the new tip, I will get in touch with the shop tomorrow where I got it to investigate. In the mean time can you suggest what I can and cannot do with my laptop and the two adaptors I have. It wouldn't be safe to take the new tip and connect it with the old fsp adaptor? (we tested it in the shop, the old one works with the new tip.) Or would it be advisable not to turn on my laptop at all from now on, even just on the battery? I should get my laptop checked before anything else?

Thank you in advance!

onthelimit1 08:58 05 Mar 14

Sounds as though the tip you used was the wrong voltage (the 10 that I have have the output voltage written on them). Why not just use a charger that is specific to your laptop?

an example here.

Shmau 09:37 05 Mar 14

For the laptop model I am using, which is pretty out of date, it is hard to find the authentic adaptor. But the universal FSP one seemed to work, the first one. And the tips I have don't have anything written on them, only one plus sign. Now I am also thinking that something might have ruined my laptop's charger input, since the previous tip and adaptor were connected to it when the tip broke off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…