Laptop acting oddly

Never again 17:26 02 Apr 10

Hi, and Happy Easter Everyone.

I have 2 friends who have both asked me to see if you guys can help me with thier laptop problems.

This one is related to a Lenovo laptop running windows xp sp3.

The laptops in a bit of a poor state having been abused by his kids, but will not connect to the internet either wirelessly or by direct network cable.

I suspect that it is also infected with spyware, virus, etc, but want to conect it to the net first to check it is fully up to date before downloading a few useful utilities.

His network connections folder is completely blank, although the network adapter is showing as ok in device manager.

I am not able to run system restore as the error message says that it is not able to protect his computer. please restart and run again, but this does not work.

I have instaled ccleaner and its not showing any system restore points buy system restore is not turned off in computer properties.

he has start menu items for spyzooka 2.5, superantispyware, spyhunter and adaware but none of them run.

There are no user accounts listed in controlpanel and when you start up the pc you have to log on in the "old fashioned way" (without the welcome screen).

I suspect that we may find that lots of other stuff is not working as well!!

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:34 02 Apr 10

TRy a repair
OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

OPTION 2 - Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

EARLR 17:37 02 Apr 10

If it's that bad I would expect that a re-load is the only way to get it working.
Good Luck

Never again 17:42 02 Apr 10

I have tried option 1 and a very breif window opens for a second and then closes?

Nothing much appears to be happening - am I supposed to see anything?

How long should I wait before trying option 2?

Oh, and I've tried to move some of his files onto a usb drive but they will not copy over to it?

Never again 17:47 02 Apr 10

I didn't mean to ignore your suggestion - it only appeared after I had replied to fruitbat.

You may be right, but I'd prefer a repair as he has not given me any cd's

Thanks for your suggestion.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:11 02 Apr 10

try in sfc /scannow in safe mode

birdface 18:15 02 Apr 10

Get rid of Spyzooka.

click here

And maybe get rid of Spyhunter at the same time.

click here

Try running your security programs in safe mode and try System restore while in there.

Never again 18:16 02 Apr 10

I have closed a number of windows and I can see that windows file protection is running.

None of these appeared to be showing on the task bar?

birdface 18:21 02 Apr 10

If XP you can borrow an XP disc as long as it is the same as that which is being used.
If XP Home you would need the XP Home disc etc.

sfc /scannow remember a little space after the sfc and forward slash or it will not work.

Never again 18:34 02 Apr 10

Thank you all for your suggestions so far.

Both of the above programs don't appear in the add/ remove programs list and won't uninstall themselves.

I'm still not sure what's happening as far as the open windows in the taskbar are concerned. I've checked they open seperately now in folder options.

I have to use alt/tab to scroll between them.

Windows file protection is still running but very slowly and CPU usage is at 100% in task manager

birdface 19:49 02 Apr 10

Cpu .If nothing running system idle process should be showing about 95% this is normal anything else using up the a lot of the CPU let us know what.

Try msconfig and stop all programs running in start up that is not needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…