Laptop acquiring network address dell d600

stevel483mav 19:12 30 Nov 09

I have just bought a laptop it is not a brand new one but it is not picking up my wireless internet connection. It works when i plug the cable from my desktop into it fine but not wirelessly it just says aquiring network address. It has an excellent signal strength.
Is there something i am missing or do i have a problem with my laptop.

User-1229748 19:40 30 Nov 09

network and sharing center or network - right click on change adapter settings-right click on wireless network - down to internet protocal version 4 - properties and make sure obtain ip address and obtain dns server addresses are both automatically

Quiller. 19:56 30 Nov 09

Is your wireless internet secure.

stevel483mav 20:05 30 Nov 09

Thank you for this advice but i cant find adapter settings i only have network and internet connections.
I am using xp proffesional and one thing i found is internal nic config in network and internet connections and it says that my current status of network card is off is this affecting my connection

stevel483mav 20:05 30 Nov 09

Thank you for this advice but i cant find adapter settings i only have network and internet connections.
I am using xp proffesional and one thing i found is internal nic config in network and internet connections and it says that my current status of network card is off is this affecting my connection

stevel483mav 20:09 30 Nov 09

It is xp and i had to type my wpa to make it secure is this right.

User-1229748 20:10 30 Nov 09

if you go to tools-internet options-connections-make sure never dial a connection is checked.

Quiller. 20:19 30 Nov 09

monitor shown it the bottom right of the taskbar?

If you don't

Control panel > network connections > wireless network connection. make sure it is enabled and disable the local area connection ( lan ) one.

If it is showing

Right click the single monitor

and select repair

If still no go

right click monitor > network connections > right click wireless network connections and select properties. Now select the wireless network tab and make sure the " use windows to configure my network" box is ticked. Also make sure your network is shown in preferred networks. If there is any other references in preferred networks, delete them or move them down the list.

stevel483mav 20:36 30 Nov 09

yes never dial connection is checked and i have found my ip address to be invalid 0000 is this a problem?

stevel483mav 20:42 30 Nov 09

I have tried repairing which disables then enables and then says renewing ip address and also i have followed the next steps but no success.

stevel483mav 20:52 30 Nov 09

Thank you for your help i now have a connection cheers. For some reason i entered my network key again after about 7 times and it worked.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac