Laptop 9/10 times will not start bios then stops

Zuckie 10:05 20 Nov 06

Laptop 9/10 times will not start bios then stops. Start laptop, power lights come on, three clicks from laptop, no bios displayed nor lights for disks etc. Changed boot sequence - no change.

Start laptop after e.g. two mins, bios may appear, when does passes to windows splash screen, freezes. Reboot, usually as previous - no display. System does not auto reboot. There are no blue screens.

Start laptop after e.g. two mins, if bios appears, passes to windows splash screen, then windows. Works for say three mins then freezes. When can get sys to boot, tried Safe mode through Admin, froze after two mins in windows

Laptop is a Time (4 y old). 80mb disk XPProf 512 kb mem floppy and CD drive. Do not have anything attached - USB Printer Mouse nor Comms.

Tried removing memory and tried new disk - same results. Re-installed XP - did not help.

Poss is a power problem? Bios problem? ON board memory?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:27 20 Nov 06

Try off mains with battery removed

faulty memory stick try memtest click here

driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

PSU voltages

Zuckie 13:33 20 Nov 06

Have tried with power and on battery - same thing happens. Will try the mem test IF I can keep the darn thing up for long enough. Does this test on-board mem or add-ons?

Have downloaded the latest S3 graphics from their site. Had not thought of dirty fans filters etc. certainly will try that route. How can I test - or get a technician to test if the PSU is faulty.

Say this cos I live in Calabria, Southern Italy and the support environment is NOT the same as the UK. I am sure I would need to point them at something.

Thanks very much for your rapid reply, really is like a possible light at the end of a tunnel.

Zuckie 08:21 22 Nov 06

Finally managed to get the test to run. Riddled with errors.

Is the replacement of the memory something any competent PC repair shop should be able to do or is it back to the laptop manufacturer?

ed-0 08:34 22 Nov 06

Any competent PC repair shop will replace the memory for you.

Usually the memory is quite easy to change yourself. They usually have a bay at the back that is screwed down. Opening the right bay would show the memory, it then has a little locking lever at both ends that just pull back. The memory then flicks down and can be taken out.

To fit memory, it just slots in and the levers self lock. Screw down the bay and start the computer.

Quite easy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac