Laptop for £300 or less

Rhona30 15:18 10 Nov 10

Hiya,

I'm looking to get my other half a laptop for his Xmas but only want to spend £250-300.

Is it possible to get a decent one for this price?

click here

That one looked decent?

Any advice or help would be appreciated. He doesn't really play games other than poker or bejewelled blitz!

birdface 16:57 10 Nov 10

In my local Aldi shop today and they had a Notebook for £270 odd pounds and you usually get a free 3 year warranty with those.
The PC World one was reconditioned so you will probably only get 3 months warranty.
have a look at E-buyer and Amazon see what they have got.
You usually get free delivery from them.

bremner 19:56 10 Nov 10

click here another worth considering. Toshiba make good laptops.

birdface 20:02 10 Nov 10

Their cusyomer reviews are not the best.

click here

bremner 23:58 10 Nov 10

Lies, damn lies and statistics click here

Rhona30 12:53 12 Nov 10

Hiya,

I found this site. click here

Some of them seem like good deals?

This is actually hurting my brain!

I want a laptop, preferably with a webcam, for him to watch the free football streams on and do general websurfing.

What's the difference between a normal processor and a dual one? Is a dual one faster?

GaT7 13:15 12 Nov 10

Well, you didn't say refurbished ones were OK. I
can post couple more store links for these if you like.

A dual CPU has 2 cores (2 CPUs in 1) instead of just the one on a standard CPU. The former is faster in theory, but 'speed' may depend on other factors too: amount of RAM, OS, programs being used, etc. G

Rhona30 13:38 12 Nov 10

I looked at refurbs because someone told me they are packaged as new. It's for a present so I don't want ones that are all grubby and worn but I guess refurbs would be ok?

northumbria61 19:32 12 Nov 10

"I looked at refurbs because someone told me they are packaged as new" - Yes that's correct but as mentioned previously the difference will be in the Warranty (normally only 3 months) If you are not bothered about that then "refurbs" can be a good buy. Take a look here click here

rdave13 19:38 12 Nov 10

Refurbished with 12 months guarantee; click here
Bought one three years ago (Compaq presario) with no problems.
Can't vouch for after-sales service though.

northumbria61 19:50 12 Nov 10

rdave13 - just had a quick look at that link - can't really go wrong with a 12 month warranty - I will keep it in mind as one or two of my friends might be interested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…