Lappy will not start

Dirk Diggler 16:40 10 Mar 07

I offered to "help" a friend by cleaning up her lappy - now I think I've killed it!! :-(

Press power button

Advent logo appear

Message comes up saying windows could not start... but disappears to quick to read the rest

Laptop powers off!!

Any help greatfully needed as I dont want to lose my kneecaps if I tell my friend lol

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:42 10 Mar 07

Have you got an XP disk?

G

Dirk Diggler 16:45 10 Mar 07

All I have is the recovery disc for my Packard lappy

Oh also forgot to mention it is plugged into the mains so its not a "dead battery" situation

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:00 10 Mar 07

windows could not start...

You have corupt boot up windows files you need o "borrow" a XP CD same version i.e. XP home and do a repair install.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:41 10 Mar 07

Your recovery disk should have an option to do a non-destruction install which is similar to Fruit Bat /\0/\s method. If not you can use any XP CD if you can borrow one of a friend and follow the method above.

G

Dirk Diggler 19:59 10 Mar 07

I'm now starting to wonder if this is as serious as I first thought! The message that came actually started "We apologise for any inconvenience caused .." but as stated earlier didnt mage to read all of it.

Whereas now when I press the power button it is doing absolutely nothing! So even if windows was corrupt as stated above, it would still allow me to power up (wouldnt it?)

So I'm thinking power issue possibly

Now my question for yee good folk is when you charge your Advent lappy up, does the battery LED light up to indicate it is on charging, and is anyone is unsure and they wouldnt mind checking I would be grateful!! Because on this one the LED does nothing so although the plug fits at the back I beginning to think that she has given me the wrong charger and it is just a case of a totally drained battery.

Thanks in advance

Dirk Diggler 15:41 11 Mar 07

Following a chat with friend in question - she now informs me that the adaptor is "very termpremental" and has to be jiggled and wiggled to get it to work. Which I have now duly done!! Many thanks for your help - and the releif at knowing I havent killed a lappy is unmeasurable!! LOL

Marked as resolved!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now