Laplink with USB to serial converter

qwerty2004 16:29 18 Aug 04

I am trying to run laplink over a serial cable. My laptop doesn't have a serial port so I am trying to use a USB to serial adapter. When I try to seet up the port is is coming up as unavailable? Is this due to the adapter or do I have to set it up differently. I am running windows XP. My old laptop was win 98SE and had a built in serial port and worked fine. I need to use serial as I connect over approx 500m and use a pair of rs232 to rs422 converters.

Cheers,

Matt

Diemmess 16:53 18 Aug 04

500M is a serious distance, but I suppose you want a semi-permanent link, and not just a one/off transfer for data.

Knowing little about it, words like "intranet" spring to mind. I would have thought that a serial port would find that length of cable too "lossy" anyway, but Hopefully others here will have your answer -off pat.

qwerty2004 10:35 19 Aug 04

I use a pair of computers to monitor equipment. I have a desktop computer in a van on a site. The computer is used to log data from analysers. The lap top is used to monitor the logging software in the control room so we use the link for several days and then wind the cable up and take the whole lot somewhere else. The standard converters allow the distance between the 2 computers to be increased beyond the usual limit for a serial link. Is there another method we could use? Either a USB cable, ethernet or wireless? We looked at wireless a couple of years ago but it couldn't do the distance at the time. Is there a limit for the cable length on USB or ethernet cables?

What ever we use has to be direct from one computer to another with no relay stations between. There are usually buildings inbetween the 2 computers so there is no line of site.

Diemmess 11:22 19 Aug 04

From fading memories of fiddling with radio, the higher the frequency the greater the need for coax cable and low loss couplings.

Judging from the "rules" for ordinary broadband installation, 10 metres is the top recommended limit for "safe" telephone socket > USB modem, but offices wired with ethernet connections obviously use much longer cables, so perhaps there is an answer along that road?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…