??lap-top overheating...

end 17:57 20 Aug 04

may sound a rather silly question; but...can a lap-top "overheat" and how do I know if it is;

and ; as it is called a lap-top, where is best to work on it; on ones lap, put it on a pillow, on a chair, on a desk or what??
and does it depend on how much "work" it is being asked to do by using the internet as to whether it WILL "heat-up"; is there a "temperature" thing on it I should be able to open to see if it IS "hotting up"......

silly questions I know but.......

wee eddie 18:20 20 Aug 04

Nice to see a well set out question. Easy to read and understand.

If you do anything to block the flow of air through the Cooling System your laptop will almost certainly over heat.

Many Laptops have Heat Exchangers built into their base plate. If you restrict the airflow over this, the poor devil will over heat.

So: Best place your laptop on a flat surface.

I suspect that if the laptop is at an angle, say 30 degrees off the horizontal, natural convection will increase the airflow over the heat exchanger and therefor lead to a cooler machine, but I don't know anyone else who shares this opinion.

Dorsai 18:31 20 Aug 04

i too have heard that many lap tops use a heat exchanger built into the base plate. Not having one i cant personally vouch for this though.

I had heard from this forum that it is possible to buy a special 'cooler' to put your lap top on, that will aid in the dissipation of heat from the base plate. Again can't actually give any personl experiance of this.

Assuming the base plate theory to be true, and i see no reason why it should not be, then putting it on a pillow it probably a bad idea, as this would act as a pretty good insulator for the base plate.

As they are called 'lap top' i guess your lap is OK though ;-)

at an angle? Sounds plausable, but have no way of testing this suggestion. Anyone out there care to see?

nick_j007 18:33 20 Aug 04

My Dell laptop does get very hot at times. Last year in the hot summer it would go really hot. I mounted mine on a couple of table mats each end to increase the air flow at that time, but not since.
But fear not as they are able to cope with the heat. When you consider how all this is sqeezed into such a small space....
As wee eddie rightly points out, do not block the fan areas.
If working on my lap, I find a dinner type tray to be good and flat.
Do a search for laptop or notebook coolers to see a few products available to combat the problem if you want to go down that route.
Your laptop will have a built-in thermometer to sense the temperature and kick in with the fans when necessary. Relax though, they do run hot.

HTH,

Nick

VoG II 18:40 20 Aug 04

Depending on how old it is, the motherboard may allow readouts of the temperature of the CPU, the motherboard itself etc. You could try MBM Monitor click here

Forum Editor 18:44 20 Aug 04

because of their design. Lots of components crammed into a confined space equals heat, and that heat has to be dissipated somehow. The fan will cut in when the machine needs to be cooled, but when you're working intensively it will have to run constantly, and the case will heat up in localised areas.

Whatever you do, don't place the machine on a carpet, a sofa, or bedclothes - this will seriously restrict the airflow underneath the casing, and will lead to overheating and possibly failure of the CPU. That will mean a dead computer.

muppetmark 19:02 20 Aug 04

click here

I purchased the above after finding my HD was running at 62 degrees, now runs at a much cooler 51, no matter how hard it's working.

end 21:54 20 Aug 04

sorry for seemingly "abandoning" my thread having posted it; must stop "burning the candle at both ends";

I have the thing parked on my work-top next to the main one, on a piece of wood; admittedly it is not a "new" machine ; and running the other evening it started up its fans after only about one and a half hours "on-duty"; I then put it on my lap-top , literaly, and started to smell something like " burning" which could have beeen from material on my lap; have also sat with it on a pillow on a chair;

I HAVE thought , trying to " think around " this, of perhaps puttign some "boulsters" on each corner of the botton to soemhow "lift" it from the "ground"....

at present I am at a loss to know just what TO do with it....

oddly,,what is the point oF having and calling it a "lap-top", if it cannot BE run ON ones lap safetly....

wee eddie 10:52 21 Aug 04

but the risk of overheating is high, so only for short periods. Much better on the desk.

You may also have read of the Yank who tried to sue Dell 'cos he burned his thingy. I am told that he lost that case. Maybe they're not so stupid under the skin.

VoG II 11:07 21 Aug 04

If it is emitting a "burning" smell, this could be due to fluff having been sucked in when you've had it on a pillow etc.

end 11:10 21 Aug 04

(your name is "rather appropriate " too for that posting::))

I would have thought that the Yank would have realsied that things WERE "hotting -up" and removed it (same as wot I did awhile ago when on MY lap got rather hot, so shifted it
( and the whole of your posting is "brilliant" from my professional point of view..."nice one " as they say:))

have thought of putting litle boulsters at the four corners of the base to lift it up a bit, like wot same are on telephone machines (at least they are on one of mine)

had thought of my wire cooling tray from the kitchen , but perhaps not a good idea as it is metal (but good for instant elevation, but not so good for "fried lap-top" )

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…