Language Pack question.

kito62 17:40 04 Jan 08

Hope someone can help me here. I live in Germany and I bought a Medion Laptop from my local Aldi store in 2002.. Spec. as follows.
( Memory recently upgraded from 512 ram.)

Windows XP Home edition. 2002.with SP2 pack.
Intel (R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.6 Ghz. 1.18 GB ram.

I have been given two differing opinions in regard to my wishing to fit a Language Pack, to enable me to have the OS in English.

Questions.
1. Can I fit a Language Pack with this system ?.
2. Approximate cost of Language Pack.
3. Can I fit it myself ?.

I will be in Ireland next week and I'm thinking about an alternative Laptop, if this is a " no-go ".
I don't play games, only surf a bit and mainly access only the Shares bulletin boards, so my needs are not demanding, but I would really like this to be a FAST computer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

DieSse 18:12 04 Jan 08

The easiest way is to get an OEM copy of XP in English, and install that in place of the German one.

I would approach Medion to see if they would do some sort of exchange first - as they do supply products in different languages.

kito62 18:20 04 Jan 08

Excuse my ignorance, but what is an OEM copy.?
Haven't a clue really about computers.

Zak 19:31 04 Jan 08

To do what you require needs the Multilingual User Interface Pack (MUI)from Microsoft but it is not available as retail.

Also only Win XP Pro can handle this and not the home version - anyway this is immaterial in your case.

Below is some background reading, but you will need to purchase an English version of Win XP.

click here

click here

As far as an alternative, for a new lap top you need to let us know your budget and I am sure suggestions will pour in.

Zak 20:45 04 Jan 08

From amazon.co.uk
Microsoft Operating System - (e.g.Win XP)

This product is intended for system builders and small OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers) who manufacture computer systems and preinstall Microsoft OEM system builder software onto those systems. Its use is subject to the OEM System Builder License Agreement that is affixed to the side of all OEM system builder software packs. The system builder who installs the individual software license and distributes hardware units must provide end-user support on terms at least as favourable as the terms under which the system builder provides end-user support for any fully assembled computer system. The system builder must place its support phone number in a noticeable location in the fully assembled computer system help files or end-user documentation. The full documentation on Microsoft OEM System Builder licence is at click here.

Noldi 20:52 04 Jan 08

I live in a German speaking country and as Zak suggests I always buy a computer with XP Pro then you can use both languages. Messing about with English only version is always a problem if you have to return your machine for repair etc.

Noldi

kito62 07:42 05 Jan 08

Many thanks guys for your input. Think I'll buy a computer in Ireland next week. Seems the simplest solution all round.

kito62 08:55 13 Jan 08

Sorry to drag this tale out, but I've just visited PC World showroom in Ireland and the Computer sales Manager told me that if I install a Medion Recovery disc in English, that will resolve all my roblems without the need to buy a new laptop. Seems too easy, or am I being sceptical.?????
Waiting with baited breath for a reply here.!!!!

DieSse 10:46 13 Jan 08

"....that if I install a Medion Recovery disc in English, that will resolve all my roblems without the need to buy a new laptop."

Yes, that's correct. You neede one for your model of laptop.

Essentially a recovery CD puts the system into the state it was shipped in - if you can get an English one, then it'll restore it to the state an English system would be shipped in.

I'm not sure how they will handle the activation code - possibly the German one will work with an English CD (I've done that with XP CDs due to a mixup, and had no ongoing problems. The code is the one on the label on the bottom of the laptop.

kito62 13:49 18 Jan 08

DieSse, many thanks for your help, but I am unable to call Medion UK from Germany as it has an 0870 number.I e-mailed Medion.de but have had no reply in over week.I e-mailed Medion.UK with the same abysmal response ... zilch. Really fed-up now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced