LAN port for ISDN?

barnettgs 15:27 15 Apr 04

I know it may be a silly question...I remembered something that you don't need a modem to use with ISDN connection.

BT is fitting ISDN highway next week (I don't have broadband enabled in my area if you ask!) and I have read the BT manual that ISDN digital box has USB port to use for my computer but box has to be fitted close to my computer so there can be other way of connection using RJ45 plug & network cable but it will means ISDN adaptor PCI card needed to be purchased separately so I had a thought about LAN port in my computer, will it not work?

Thanks.

Also, any info regarding ISDN will be helpful

A NIC card on its own (LAN card) will not work and the advice you have been given re a separate ISDN card in a PCI slot is valid.

If you only have the one computer then why not have the box near the computer and use the supplied USB connection?

Might you have a network of computers on a LAN?

I have a network where all of my computers feed to a hub which in turn feeds to an ISDN router, the Netgear RT338 which has served me well over the last couple of years.

Because broadband is taking off there are quite a few ISDN routers on places like EBay where the original cost of £140+ is more than halved.

The Netgear 348 has a built in hub to accomodate 4 computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…