LAN Password for shared folders

troydi 23:08 12 Jan 05

We've had a small home lan set up for a while now, and have never had any problems with it. There are 4 of us, and we all run xp pro.

However, recently, we've joined forces with the flat next door to share their internet connection over the lan. Because we don't know the people that well, we don't particularly want them having access to our shared files just yet, but would like to keep sharing them among ourselves. What I would like to do is organise it so that, when someone wants to access something on my pc, they have to have a password first. I'm not entirely sure how to go about it though.

Has anyone done this before? Anyone able to help?

Ivor_Monkey 00:04 13 Jan 05

I only know of the read only or full access options for sharing (window explorer/ righthand button/sharing). These can be set according to a password.

But you seem to be wanting to create two separate lans with restricted access. Sorry I don't know how you do that.

But it seems odd that you want to share the internet access wiht your neighbour. Apart from vulnerabiliies etc, it is looking like you will end up with very little bandwidth each.

hugh-265156 00:04 13 Jan 05

this may help you a bit maybe click here

troydi 09:01 13 Jan 05

I know. Sharing internet with the neighbours was not exactly my first choice to connect. It's really a temporary measure until we have ours sorted again. Luckily they have a 3mb connection and we've not had any problems on our side.

Thanks huggyg71, will have a play and see what I come up with.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…