LAN and internet connection

Bad Dad 22:09 09 Sep 03

I set up a LAN with two computers both running XP Home. For some reason that I cannot fathom when you log onto the guest computer it sometimes logs onto the internet. A tad annoying to say the least as the host computer is upstairs and we don't know when it does it.

Any suggestions?

BarryKeith 22:49 09 Sep 03

You may have the addresses set the same, or you may need to provide access by password to use the internet.

madPentium 23:01 09 Sep 03

I had this problem before and it turned out that when xp was sharing an internet connection across a network, it seemed to treat is like a router that was permanently connected. If for example Norton autoliveupdate was on, it wouldnt hesitate to dial up the internet.

Bad Dad 23:14 09 Sep 03

BarryKeith Don't want to sound thick, but guess I need to, what do you mean by the addresses are set the same?

Sketch 23:25 09 Sep 03

The addresses of your individual computers on the network share the same networking identifier.

When you do one thing on one system, the other will perform the same task because it also assumes identity of the same tag.

Like calling both of your sons 'Peter', and then asking 'Peter' to wash the dishes.....

Hope that helps.

I'm good at simplifying things.

Not much good at fixing them though.

Bad Dad 23:29 09 Sep 03

Sketch - thanks it does help. Also how do I set up the guest computer to only be allowed to log onto the internet using a password?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…